Is the Sonos Amp designed to be an always-on device?

• 4 April 2019
  • 4 replies

Hi everyone,

I currently have a few Sonos devices at home but still use a traditional amp with my legacy hi-fi system. The only reason I would consider the new Sonos Amp is to avoid the hassle of starting up my amp each time I want to listen music on my hi-fi system. Currently, although I could always let my amp on, I do not do it as it heats up significantly when on. Turning it on is quite painful, especially as it requires a few seconds of warm-up before I can select an input source.

So here's my question: is the Sonos Amp designed to be always on? or at least, is it appropriate to have it always on? Is there a smart feature that prevents it from heating up when in standby? How does it handle speakers when in standby? Is there no current/ sound at all or can you hear an indistinctive white noise?

Thanks for your help!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Since Sonos are network devices, intended to be available at all times to play music, all Sonos devices are "always on" devices. They go into low-power mode after a period of inactivity. On the active speakers, you can sometimes hear a distinctive "click" when the amplifiers power down.
I have no experience with the Amp, so I cannot answer your questions regarding temperature or white noise.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6

So here's my question: is the Sonos Amp designed to be always on? or at least, is it appropriate to have it always on? Is there a smart feature that prevents it from heating up when in standby? How does it handle speakers when in standby? Is there no current/ sound at all or can you hear an indistinctive white noise...!

Always on? Yes
Appropriate to be always on? Yes (has a low power state)
Does it heat up? My connect:amps get warm but not hot, nothing to worry about
Standby mode? Yes
Standby mode sound? Silent on connect:amps ime, I've not read anything about the Amp to suggest it is different
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
The Sonos amp is always on. There is a blue indicator light that you can set to off if you don’t like seeing it. The amp like the speakers are always set to go on as soon as you direct music to them. There are also settings to make the line input begin playing as soon as it recognizes an input. That’s how I have my amp setup with my turntable. I never have to touch the amp as I control volume from either my phone or iPad. I have a second amp hooked up to a tv via HDMI, it also starts up as soon as it senses sound from the tv. My tv remote controls the volume.

The amp is totally silent when no signal is going to them. It was the first thing my wife noticed when I replaced my old amp with the Sonos. My old amp was class AB and was on 24/7. It always put out a sound when idling. The amp generates no heat when not playing and gets just a bit warm when on for several hours.
Thanks all, very helpful answers!
I think I will buy it as soon as I happen to get a discount code 🆒