Is the Beam still worth it?

• 1 September 2020
  • 9 replies

Badge

Hello guys, I'm a newbie here and just got my beam today. I chose this vs. LG sn7cy, do you think I made the right decision? And do you think sonos beam is a bit out dated now? Thanks guys. Stay safe.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

The Beam was release in July 2018.  And it was part of the S2 upgrade path.  I’ve been happy with mine.

I like the Alexa integration.  The sound is good.  My is in a large room about 25’x25’.  I also have two One’s for surround.  Might get a Sub in a few months.

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

It is a fine speaker and not many other sound bars have the same smart capabilities, e.g. support for Google, Alexa and Airplay 2. 

The main limitation be aware of, is the limit audio format support. The only surround format supported is Dolby Digital 5.1. The same audio format used on non-HD DVDs. 

It doesn’t support DTS used on Blu-Ray, Dolby Digital Plus used by Netflix and many other streaming services and of course not Atmos or the like. 

There are workarounds, meaning that you rely on Blu-ray players, Apple TV’s or similar to convert whatever file format your source plays to Dolby Digital 5.1 - but it is likely you will find yourself in situations where you are only getting stereo because the source only carries surround in an unsupported format. 

This limitation is not likely to change. So if getting true surround matters, you could consider other alternatives. Of course, if you have other Sonos hardware, the only other alternative is the much larger and more expensive Arc - which has better audio format but still lacks DTS (surround from Blu-ray). 

Badge

So do you suggest that I should add 2 one sl ? And maybe later the sub (gen3) if budget permits :-) thanks a lot guys for replying. Stay safe.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

I replaced a Yamahas/infinity full surround system with Sonos.  I was happy with what I had but wanted to get rid of all the wires.  My wife and guests could never figure out the multiple remotes, and input settings.  I first got the beam and was surprised how good it sounded as a stand-alone, but missed the surround and bass.  I next added the SL ONEs as surround, and finally, a few months later added the sub.  My entire family thinks it sounds better than the system it replaced, has smart features, and only one remote for all.  It is really an excellent sounding and clean looking system.  The beauty of Sonos is that you can add to your system as budget allows while enjoying what you already have in place.

Badge

Wow thanks for this... I'm planning to buy 2 one sl next week to maximise the power of the beam..and maybe if budgets permit the subs gen 3. I also read the review about this and the other subs esp. Lg because.it was new but the ratings are not that good. But when you check sonos review the ratings is wow..overwhelmingly good 👍  thanks again guys for the messages and for the help. Stay safe.

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

So do you suggest that I should add 2 one sl ? And maybe later the sub (gen3) if budget permits :-) thanks a lot guys for replying. Stay safe.

If your budget permits…. you can also buy me the Sub😀

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Wow thanks for this... I'm planning to buy 2 one sl next week to maximise the power of the beam..and maybe if budgets permit the subs gen 3. I also read the review about this and the other subs esp. Lg because.it was new but the ratings are not that good. But when you check sonos review the ratings is wow..overwhelmingly good 👍  thanks again guys for the messages and for the help. Stay safe.

Watch the YouTube reviews from a guy named Peter Pee.  I think he lives in Singapore.  They are very good - not the typical canned speeches.  

Badge

(Michael)Hahaha lol 😆  really love my beam and the community here is very helpful. Thank you so much guys. Stay safe.

Badge

Hey (michael) already subscribed to his youtube channel thank you for the recommendation 😀 😊  cheers 🍻