Question

Is is possible to remove red notification badge from "More" tab and red dot from Voice Services in iOS apps?

• 30 December 2017
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1
I don't want to use Amazon Alexa. Is there any way to remove the red dot in More>Voice Services and the red notification badge on the More tab of the Sonos iOS apps? If so, how? They're really annoying.

Sonos support says no. So they're using the app to pressure customers into signing up for Alexa even if they don't want it. To me, that's completely unacceptable. There should be a way to dismiss these.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

They are purely informational. Read them and they go away. Actually, you don't even have to read them, just click through.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
This one does NOT go away.

If I tap through to the page "Steps to set up Alexa", and then tap "Skip", and then confirm "Skip for now", and then "Cancel", the dot and badge remain.

Sonos tech support, via email, said "You, unfortunately, cannot get rid of the red dot under the more tab unless you setup Amazon Alexa."

I hope that's incorrect. The whole point of these things is to be intrusive so that you take action. That makes sense if there's something wrong with your system or if there's a software update available.

WTF, Sonos? If this is symbolic of your corporate practices, know that I just got these speakers and have a month to return them.
Are you using a Sonos One? if so, why would you buy one and not setup Alexa? If not, the menu is purely informational. All the setup takes place in the Alexa app and requires an Alexa device. Stop hitting skip and read it through.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
I went as far as I could in the screens without signing up for an account.

I bought the Sonos One instead of the Play:1 because it will support AirPlay 2, while the Play:1 most likely won't (Sonos support didn't know for sure).

I want AirPlay to stream audio from browsers and apps on my iPad/iPhone to the Sonos (not for Siri voice control).
Then I guess you are just going to have to live with it.