IPoD 5 obsolete for Sonos - Could it be different ?

• 16 February 2019
  • 5 replies

The latest Sonos update now rejects controller below iOS 10.
Apparently it is not possible anymore to just command a Sonos system with an iPod5 that is up to date with iOS 9.3.5 and can't go above. You have to buy a new iPoD.
I use the iPoD 5 just to start / stop playing music in different rooms and setup the wake-up. The music is either on a MAC or from TuneIn radios. I do not intend to use any voice command function.
Why would it be possible for Sonos to still leave a "basic" version of the controller that could run on iPods 5 below iOS10 to just perform the basic functions?
Not everybody wants the new features, but just don't want to have to throw away existing and perfectly working iPods 5 only used to control the home Sonos system. This is a waste of perfectly working products.
Could Sonos reconsider its position and offer a "basic" controller app for iPods that have to stay with iOS 9.x.x ? Thanks, this would save the planet from additional waste that still could perform the basic functions most users requires for many years.

Thanks in advance

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Try SonoPad or SonoPhone from the App Store, it works on unsupported iOS versions. (Not sure if it works on iPods though).
Not everybody wants the new features, but just don't want to have to throw away existing and perfectly working iPods 5 only used to control the home Sonos system. This is a waste of perfectly working products.
Could Sonos reconsider its position and offer a "basic" controller app for iPods that have to stay with iOS 9.x.x ? Thanks, this would save the planet from additional waste that still could perform the basic functions most users requires for many years.

Thanks in advance
Perfectly put Casper2 - I've read the reasons from Sonos for why they are making older devices obsolete and its easy to see that they don't want to keep it as a basic controller requiring basic specs. Give it 3 years and I'm guessing future controller sonos apps will start to resemble an iTunes shop.
Do not bother with SONOS. Download the SonoPad app from the App store. Problem solved.
$5.99 price tag.
Bought the new iPod and now iOS is up-to-date but it wont let you access iTunes library. Have to have air play speakers that I don't. Now what?