iOS piggy-back device connections

• 7 February 2023
  • 4 replies

I’m not sure how to word my question, but here it goes  however, I don’t want to ‘hear’ any comments that blames someone else.

I would like to know the technical process that explains why compatible and connected devices cannot piggyback on each other for full control. For example, I open Sonos using my iPhone. I have the Amazon Music app on my phone; Amazon Music shows on the Browse screen in the app, and plays perfectly. I also have the Amazon Music app on my Apple Watch which can control the music on my phone. 

So my question is, why can’t I control the Amazon music playing on Sonos which is connected to my phone, using my Apple Watch? I’m logged in to Amazon in Sonos and my phone and the Amazon Music app is on my watch and is connected to my phone. 

If Sonos has granted access to my Amazon Music account and my phone app is open and logged in, I just want to understand why the devices can’t be linked and utilized. 

4 replies

Aren’t they two different computers? I wouldn’t expect two Macs on the same network to automatically be logged in to Amazon without needing to log in on the second computer. The Apple Watch isn’t just an extension of an iOS device, it’s a completely separate device. 

@Sullibury 

I’m not entire sure I understand your post here and I’ve read it several times and it left me thinking you may perhaps have some misconceptions, (not sure 🤔?) but the Sonos App on iOS/Other devices is actually not a music player, it’s a ‘remote’, much like a TV remote …and the only ‘play action’ necessary is a process that actually occurs between the audio source and the selected Sonos speaker(s). I don’t see any reason why you can’t use your watch to do these things, but I don’t see a need to use the nearby phone. 

I don’t have (nor have I ever used) an Apple Watch as a Sonos ‘remote’, but can’t you just use Airplay, or use one of the several available 3rd party Watch Apps for Sonos playback & control, such as.. Lyd, Sonowatch, ZonePlay etc; or the other Apps mentioned online and just leave the phone out of the mix?

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Any app on your phone should have access to the “Now Playing” screen the iPhone and an Apple watch. It does not matter if you use Apple Music, Amazon Music or the Sonos app itself to control the music, the controls still should show up on your phone and watch face.

That said, I have had issues with the Sonos app controls not showing up in Now Playing and it turns out that Apple Airplay overrides the Now Playing interface if any non-Sonos device that can receive an Airplay stream is active.  In other words I had to turn off Airplay on my receiver, TV, and Apple TV to get Now Playing to function properly. This may be happening with Amazon Music and is why you are not seeing the interface interface in those situations. 

There are a number of limitations for the iOS lock screen controls not always appearing. They are mentioned here in this link:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/control-sonos-from-the-ios-lock-screen