Individual volume slider disappearing when grouped

• 20 June 2021
  • 8 replies

I have searched for this in various ways and haven’t found a solution. When I am on Sonos app on iPhone, I am trying to control individual volume of a room when grouped. I touch the volume slider for the group and the individual rooms will reveal themselves above the group slider. Before I can slide volume of an individual room, the sliders collapse back to the group volume slider. They pop up, I try to quickly select the slider for a room but over half the time it collapses again before I can make a change. I have tried on different iPhones and an iPad with same problem. The desktop on my iMac works fine but sometimes I need to adjust individual room from iPhone app.

I have restarted app multiple times, deleted app and reloaded, restarted Sonos system, and so far nothing fixes the problem. Please help.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7

Do you have the latest iOS installed? Have you rebooted the phone and iPad?

When I click on the slider for grouped rooms, it just opens up the larger group of volume sliders. I have to click away to get it to collapse. Using the latest iOS and controller. 

I think GS may be right, it may just need a reboot. 

Yes, I have the latest iOS. I have rebooted the app, the phone, deleted the app and reloaded, it still does it. 

Thanks for the input but still need a solution. 

I would try rebooting your router and Sonos speakers, not just the phone.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Do you have another iOS device you could try?

I have an Eero meshed system with Spectrum Internet modem. I have the system on a timed reset every night because I found that Spectrum Internet service needs frequent reboot. So I automated it. I have a large property with 10 Eero routers/extenders and 9 different Sonos speakers.

I have tried on 2 different iPhone models and 2 different iPad models. The problem happens intermittently on each device. Not to offend anyone, but of course it happens the most often when my wife is trying to use it which is why I am trying to find a more stable solution.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Try SonoPhone from the App Store.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @ronwood04 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Given that the group volume window disappears when you tap somewhere else on the screen, and that the issue mostly occurs when your wife is using the app, I would first start with making sure that she isn’t touching the screen accidentally with part of her hand while performing this action, as that would produce the exact situation you describe.

With phones that have curved edges to the screen, this is easier to do by accident than it used to be without the curved edges. 

If the phone is resting on a table at the time, does it still happen as you describe?