Question

I PAD no longer works with Sonos

what can I replace it with?

SONOS has been down for almost a year over this, the installer I used says SONOS no longer works with apple products.

what have other people done to get the system working again, its an extensive installation with amps, speakers throughout out the home.

maybe there is some after market software that can restore the use of older IPADS?

the weird thing is it works off my iPhone, but i want to use the in wall IPADS again.

any suggestions much appreciated, I did search the topic and its seems there are only pissed off customers and no solutions.

I need a solution. Many thanks in advance.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

If you look through the forum, there’s a lot of discussion around an app that I believe is called Sonopad.

However, your installer is incorrect. Sonos still supports running the controller on an iPad, and in fact I’m both writing this on one, and at the same time controlling my Sonos system. There is a minimum version of iOS that is required, but that’s it.

Due to changes made made by Apple, Sonos is removing the ability to play music stored on an iOS device, but that doesn’t change the ability to use an iOS device as a controller.

You you may want to look for an installer who is better informed.
If your installer says Sonos no longer works with Apple products then you need to find an installer who has a clue what he is talking about.
How can I find an installer that knows a work around for the update that took my Sonos off line ?

is there a certain iOS revision that I should try to install to get it running again ?

thanks in advance for your advice
Which generation are the iPads and what version of iOS are they running? It is most likely that the latest version of iOS that they are capable of running is not sufficiently recent to run the Sonos app. But let us not prejudge that.

If that does prove to be the case then Bruce's advice to try Sonopad instead of the official Sonos app seems to me your best bet.

It is absolutely NOT the case that Sonos no longer works with Apple products.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes - let us know what ipad you have and what ios version your running and we can give you advice from there.
The very old iPads cannot support the current SONOS controller.

I know a family that had an ancient iPad, (ab)used by a pre-teen. It was time to retire that iPad because it had a few physical problems too. I had to retire an old iPod Touch because it would no longer support much of anything.
The system that does not work anymore is an iPad mini from late 2012 and has iOS 9.3.5 which is the latest most update version for this iPad

it seems the iPad is too old to be compatible anymore

so do I just buy some new iPads and problem solved ?
Have you investigated the potential solution in the first sentence of my original reply?

If that doesn’t work for you, perhaps new a new iPad is the answer, with the knowledge that technology continues to evolve, and at some point, you may run in to this situation again.
dave janes,

Since you consulted an installer, do you have a home control system that also uses the iPad? If so, you will likely need to consult the installer in order to transfer the control system to the new iPad. If you simply migrate data from the old iPad to the new iPad, any music stored on the old iPad will be transferred. You'll need to install the current SONOS controller on the new iPad. This is straight forward, however, if asked, be sure to indicate that you want to control an existing system, not install a new system. SONOS controllers don't store much. All of your music services will be intact because this data is stored in the players. (this is why you don't want to install a new system)
It looks like my iPads are no longer supported

off to buy some new iPads

I just wish Sonos company would tell us that in the first place.

should be in their FAQ section

thank you all for your suggestions
It would be difficult for a 3rd party (in this case SONOS) to know when Apple will render a particular feature obsolete. Even if someone uses only Apple products, after a few years the older products will become obsolete. By the way, the original SONOS player from 2005 is still supported.
Isn’t this simply Apple forcing their 'customers' and 'developers' to move to 64bit architecture and some Apps on the now old iPad and iPhones are no longer working.

My guess is the developers are just heading where they are being told to go and it’s far too costly to keep the old Apps compatible with Sonos hardware, that is constantly trying to move forward with the times and stay ahead of the game.

Once you’re on the technology track, you have to pay out from time to time to stay on the train. It’s becoming a fact of modern life.