Answered

"WiFi not connected" - What's going on?

• 18 July 2018
  • 9 replies

icon

Best answer by TGingras 19 July 2018, 02:48

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Any specific issue or just time for a rant?
Userlevel 5
Hi TGingrass,

Thanks for reaching out on the community. We'd love to be able to assist you with the software troubles you're having. Could you give us some more details about the problem you're experiencing, or the challenge you're having? You can also submit a system diagnostic, so we can have a closer look. :)

Thanks a lot,
Ditte
Hi - Sorry for the rant! I had been working at my computer for hours and just wanted to listen to some music and kept receiving the Sonos error message that the WiFi was not connected...

All of my devices were working fine, WiFi up and running. This happens frequently though the router and speaker are in the same proximity, and are about 15 feet apart. I tried the reset technique on the speaker and that didn’t work. I finally powered down my router and rebooted then the problem resolved.

I get frustrated because this happens frequently, especially when I am working, I know it should just be a minor inconvenience but I lost my cool. Sorry! The speaker has incredible sound the software seems to be fickle.... By the way, when will this company go public....Theresa
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Theresa

That's no problem it happens to us all sometimes :)

I suspect you are experiencing duplicate IP addresses which happens after booting a Router is it forgets which IP addresses have been allocated and so starts at the start of the address list again. One way to resolve this is to allocate reserved IP address for your Sonos devices in your router settings - I use the address range 192.168.0.200 and above for all of my mine.
If you are getting a 'wifi not connected' message this is probably not an issue between the router and speaker but between the controller device and the router (although depends what the exact wording of that message is). What device are you getting this with? Desktop controller? Mobile device? Which mobile device? The controller may be flipping between the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands from your router, and if the controller device is on 5GHz it may not find Sonos. Honestly, the Sonos software is solid - there is some networking oddity going on here. Might be @UKMedia's suggestion, might be mine, might be something else.

But your experience is not how it should be or needs to be. This can be sorted. Please clarify re controller(s).

And if you submit the diagnostic suggested by Ditte, make sure you post the confirmation number back here.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Good advice John B as always. ?
Hi - At the time of this problem I was using my desktop computer. Earlier in the day I had been listening to music through the Sonos that had been started via my desk top; however, when leaving I turned the music off via the app on my iPhone. I do this frequently as I work in the loft up stairs, and when leaving downstairs I turn the speaker off via the app. Perhaps this is the root of problem? I will try to run the diagnostic this evening. Thank you for the help.
-Theresa
There is nothing wrong in the way you are using the controllers. Is the problem that you cannot get the controller to connect so that you can control the speaker? Does that happen with all controllers? Short term, is it physically possible to connect your computer to the router by Ethernet?