Answered

How would I know if my Sonos got wet?

• 3 January 2018
  • 9 replies

Check it out, I was sitting at my computer with a glass of wine when my spastic toddler knocked over my wine glass breaking it and sending wine every where. How would I know if my Sonos got wet? There was a little on the top of the speaker, but what if some made it through the grate? Clearly, if a good size amount got in there it wasn't obvious. I inspected it visually and saw 3 or 4 tiny drops on the side, and yes I've even ran my nose over it to see if I could smell any significant wine residue. Nada. Everything seems to be fine, other than Alexa maybe not being as quick to respond. However that could just be my paranoia. Im going to check my warranty and see if I should just send it back, or do you think Im just being a freak and I need to chill?
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 4 January 2018, 19:26

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You might be interested to learn, for the sake of broadening your horizons, that the term "spastic" here in the UK is extremely derogatory. So much so that if somebody called a Brit's child "spastic" it would warrant a severe beating!

That being said. I would suggest that the grille is actually quite good at stopping splashes getting through. I'd advise you unplug that unit and keep it in a warm area long enough for any wetness to dry out.
Badge +1
You might be interested to learn, for the sake of broadening your horizons, that the term "spastic" here in the UK is extremely derogatory. So much so that if somebody called a Brit's child "spastic" it would warrant a severe beating!

Agreed - extremely offensive, I'd delete/edit the post if I was you.
Interesting. It has no such connotations here in the US. It's just a description of erratic motion.
Ill have you know that Im a huge Ab Fab, Monthy Python fan and dont get me started on 007, so I find it rather offensive that you presume to know how broad my horizons are simply because Im not 100% on point with the worlds varied and differing associations and connotations of written/spoken word. Nor do I appreciate the condescending tone of your comment. Far be it from me to offend peoples 4000 miles away across the Atlantic especially during a time when we are all so offended by everything. So, stuart what about the term 'spaz' is that offensive and how about ****? Is ***** offensive too?

That being said, thanks for the advice on my Sonos. All seems to be fully functional.

Moderation note by Ryan S: Yes, yes that one is offensive and is getting removed.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Hi happyhaufrau

I didn't say I was offended. (I would be offended if somebody used that term to describe one of my loved ones mind). Not sure what your comments about Ab Fab and Monty Python are supposed to mean but one thing's for sure you never heard any of those terms on those did you. So is your point that you are broad minded and do know those terms are offensive to Brits? If so why would you use them knowing Brits use these forums.

Frankly your reaction to my comment is completely over the top and indicative of a hyper sensitivity. (And for the avoidance of doubt. Yes "spaz" would be considered offensive and yes c**t is also highly offensive here as it is in the US). And really I had no intention of doing anything other than giving you the heads up that Brits find the term "spastic" extremely offensive. One would have thought that information might someday prevent you making a complete tit of yourself one day!
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
One would have thought that information might someday prevent you making a complete tit of yourself one day!
Too late.
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
Hey guys —- let’s just put this one down to cultural differences. Words can offend when no offence was intended, and I’m sure none was intended here.

I think the OP’s question has been answered so let’s not go off topic and off the rails on this one. The mods are watching !!

Ask Alexa for some chill out music and brew up some coffee. Relax!

Best regards
Andrew
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
I'd say the issue was more to do with responose having had those cultural differences pointed out than the initial question's wording.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hey guys —- let’s just put this one down to cultural differences. Words can offend when no offence was intended, and I’m sure none was intended here.

I think the OP’s question has been answered so let’s not go off topic and off the rails on this one. The mods are watching !!

Ask Alexa for some chill out music and brew up some coffee. Relax!

Best regards
Andrew

I couldn't agree more, Andrew. Since it would be too destructive to the conversation, I'm not going to remove the word in question here. It is clearly considered offensive in some places, and just has a negative connotation in other. We don't want to make anyone upset, but at this point I think the damage has been done. We can all learn something about how cultural differences change meanings of some words and that the community is global, and therefore some words do change, even if we're all speaking roughly the same language here on the EN side of things. If you ahve any concerns or questions, please feel free to private message me directly.

I'm going to close this thread since thehappyhausfrau has gotten the real answer to his question. Also, on the note of the wine spilling, the Sonos One is humidity resistant and a few drops of water or wine shouldn't be an issue. If it eases your mind, it wouldn't make Alexa any slower to respond.