How will Alexa work with Sonos?

• 10 February 2017
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
I've heard about the recent videos demonstrating the Alexa/Sonos integration and so far it looks like you can use Alexa to play, pause, etc. I'm curious if anyone knows how this integration is going to work? Is it just Alexa voice controlling the Sonos app? Or are things that you might have heard through the Echo/dot speaker going to play through the Sonos speakers? For example, if I ask for the morning briefing from Alexa, will that play through Sonos speakers?

I ask because I find the Sonos app very cumbersome for a lot of things I normally do, like listen to audiobooks or podcasts and switching from listening at home to in my car, etc. If Alexa provides voice control for Sonos, that won't really change any of that. But if what would normally play through Alexa speakers will now play through Sonos speakers, that's a huge difference (I would love to be able to connect my phone via bluetooth to Alexa and then play off my phone through Alexa to the Sonos speakers).

I know the arguments about sound quality and how the Sonos system works, etc. Unfortunately, I'm more interested in usability than sound quality and perhaps I should have gone with a different system but I went with Sonos years ago and am still trying to make it work.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
No. And until it gets to Public Beta or Sonos make an announcement we only know what we have seen in that video and press release. Given the way Alexa works with Amazon Music and Spotify I think it could just be a case of asking alexa to play then specifying which Sonos speaker/room. I hope there is the option to play local music too or it will be of limited use to me. Anything will just be speculation at present.
In short, nobody knows how it is going to work, outside of the marketing video, and I highly doubt you are going to get any details from Sonos employees. So I guess it's wait and see.
Interesting upcoming smart light switch, with Alexa and Sonos integration. I wonder how deep the Sonos integration goes? Hopefully it will use Sonos' new official API...

https://www.brilliant.tech/

Interesting upcoming smart light switch, with Alexa and Sonos integration. I wonder how deep the Sonos integration goes? Hopefully it will use Sonos' new official API...

https://www.brilliant.tech/

Be careful what you wish for... by all accounts the official API is much less capable than the UPNP interface and is causing a lot of disappointment amongst Control4 customers and others who are already using it. Apparently there are some functionality constraints in the new API that were allegedly necessitated by Spotify and Amazon though communication has been very poor on what is really going on and the reasons behind it.

At this point I would be hoping the Brilliant switch sticks with UPNP

... by all accounts the official API is much less capable than the UPNP interface . . .

Uhhhh, and whose "all accounts" are these? Besides the problems seen with Control4, which may (or may not) have less to do with the capabilities of the API, and more to do with Control4's implementation, I've seen none of these "all accounts". So if you want to be truly accurate, you should probably list the other integration companies with complaints about the new Sonos API. Better yet, you could give some technical insight as to what features are actually missing from the API, citing the specs or literature to back your claims. Either that, or drop the plural. :8

Oh and once again, you hijacked a thread about Alexa integration to pound your own personal drum. Pretty bad when the accusations of being a broken record get to the point of being a broken record, but that's what you have achieved.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I figured there wouldn't be an answer as of yet. I've been desperate for a workaround the Sonos app so I can listen to audiobooks and podcasts (I only have Play:3s so I can't line-in). I was really hoping the Alexa integration might be the fix. If not, I'll have to go back to the drawing board.

Oh and once again, you hijacked a thread about Alexa integration to pound your own personal drum.

Quoted a post that specifically referenced the new API so relevant. Presumably the Alexa integration will use the new API so also relevant. Multiple accounts of issues with Control4 is still plural. Claims that direct control of music services has been replaced by the ability to operate only what is pre-configured as a Sonos favorite is an example of constraint that dealers and users are unhappy about. Sonos can correct or clarify at any time if the issues are related to implementation rather than the API itself.

Quoted a post that specifically referenced the new API so relevant.

The post mentioned Alexa, so it was obviously relevant, yours . . . not so much.

Presumably the Alexa integration will use the new API so also relevant.

A presumption you have no proof for, but which conveniently allows you to excuse shoehorning your agenda into yet another off-topic post.

Multiple accounts of issues with Control4 is still plural.

Yeah. Go with that one. :8

Claims that direct control of music services has been replaced by the ability to operate only what is pre-configured as a Sonos favorite is an example of constraint that dealers and users are unhappy about.

Again, from a single company that may or may not have screwed up their part of the implementation. The press release mentioned Crestron, Lutron, Savant, Control4, iPort and Deutsche Telekom’s QIVICON as integrating with Sonos' new API. We've heard complaints about one, Control4. It doesn't take a genius to read between the lines, does it?

Sonos can correct or clarify at any time if the issues are related to implementation rather than the API itself.

For one, Sonos is not going to throw a partner under the bus no matter who is to blame (and you know this). Number two, if you truly believe Sonos should respond, perhaps you should hold off until Sonos gives you the information you seek before posting your baseless accusations in post after post after post?