How to uncouple TV (Dish Remote) from Sonos Soundbar

• 15 December 2017
  • 4 replies

The Sonos speaker is never off. I wish I could just turn it off. (Please Sonos - it would be nice) I have the TV hooked up to the Sonos Soundbar with the optical cable. It's a samsung if that makes any difference. In the Samsung menu, I can say that I want the speaker to be the TV speaker or the optical - I set it to TV speaker, yet the Sonos is relentless and raising the volume on the TV remote (Disk Remote) raises the volume on the soundbar. I just want the TV speakers to be the only output! How do I fix this? I wish I had never coupled the TV remote with the Sonos and could just control the Sonos from my iPhone.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

You could do a Factory Reset and then just not re-connect the remote when setting it back up.
Is this the only way? That seems like a lot of work.
Well, I suppose you could try setting it up to use another remote.... but I think that requires you to be able to press pause or something on that other remote. If you have a remote lying around that you don't use with your TV, give that a shot. Neither case would affect your ability to use the Sonos controller app.
I did the factory reset and guess what it MAKES you do something with the TV remote when you set it up. There is no way to cancel out of that part of the set up. So i tricked it and touched the channel up button on the TV remote (not the dish remote which is where we change channels). What a pain. Please provide an off button on the controller or the playbar ! Preferrably on the controller. This would not be hard to do. So now it thinks the up channel on the tV remote is the up volume. Goofy. please file a request for enhancement. I don't ALWAYS want to play my TV speakers through my Sonos. If I set the TV speaker out to TV - it still plays through the audio cable. Dumb! Now I have to set the speaker to TV, turn the Sonos to TV, turn it down on the sonos controller and up on the tv remote. ugh!