Answered

How to play iPhone audiobook on Sonos 1 please

• 29 September 2018
  • 6 replies

I have my audiobooks on my iPhone but can’t work out how to play on my Sonos 1. Is this possible? Do I have to make them music files on separate playlists for each book? Thanks in advance and hoping this is possible.
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 30 September 2018, 05:11

Yea, I'm afraid you are, unless you purchase one of their newer speakers. The PLAY:5 gen 2, the Sonos One, the PLAYBASE, and the Beam all have the ability to be targets for AirPlay 2. I guess your other option would be a line in device (CONNECT, PLAY:5 either gen 1 or 2) and connect the headphone jack from your phone to the line in on the Sonos.

Sorry I don't have better news for you. But I'll admit to having purchased a Sonos One myself to act as a target for AirPlay 2, which I then group with other non-AirPlay 2 speakers to get the sound around. It does work pretty darn well.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

First, do you have a Sonos One, or a PLAY:1? The former can be a target for AirPlay 2, the latter can not. Second, what app is your audiobook associated with? Sonos can natively handle Amazon's Audible books.
Hi Bruce. I should have been clearer. It’s the older Play:1 and it looks like I need a newer Sonos One to be able to use AirPlay. Any workarounds you know of? Thanks, Robyn
And I’m using the iPhone iBook app not Audible etc. I think I’m just out of luck unless I upgrade
Yea, I'm afraid you are, unless you purchase one of their newer speakers. The PLAY:5 gen 2, the Sonos One, the PLAYBASE, and the Beam all have the ability to be targets for AirPlay 2. I guess your other option would be a line in device (CONNECT, PLAY:5 either gen 1 or 2) and connect the headphone jack from your phone to the line in on the Sonos.

Sorry I don't have better news for you. But I'll admit to having purchased a Sonos One myself to act as a target for AirPlay 2, which I then group with other non-AirPlay 2 speakers to get the sound around. It does work pretty darn well.
Thanks Bruce 🙂
You’re most welcome 😉