Question

How to permanently rename a speaker

• 18 June 2020
  • 8 replies

My original Play One will not allow a room rename to stick. Every couple of weeks it reverts back to its original name of ‘Lounge’ when since my house move it has been named ‘kitchen’. Anyone have any ideas why this is happening, and how I can get the name ‘Kitchen’ to stick?

8 replies

In all of the instances of this issue I’ve seen, it’s been an outside system renaming the speaker back to the old name, most particularly HomeKit from Apple. Check any third party applications you may have run even once. 

I haven't got Apple home kit, though do have the Alexa skill enabled. I can’t say I really use that either , shall I try and remove this? 

So…. I have had the Sonos skill disabled for the best part of a month (in Amazon Alexa) and still today I see that my One has renamed itself back again….

Can I not do a complete factory reset or something. What else is there that could be doing this renaming?

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hi @marky9074, Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community. I agree with @Airgetlam, for this issue, that the Sonos speaker name reverts back to its original name, Possible reason is if you have an Apple Home Kit or any 3rd party app that may cause this issue. 

I’ll ask you to submit a diagnostic report for us to further investigate what could be causing this issue. You may reply to the thread with the confirmation number to assist you with this issue. 

Let us know how you get on with the advice above.

We're here to answer any further questions you have.

Hi @Simon B . I’ve just submitted a diagnostic report 984162292 for you. Today the One renamed itself again (from Galley to Lounge), which is the second time in two days. Hope you can help with this.

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hi @marky9074, thanks for the update. I appreciate you taking the time to submit the diagnostic report, Upon checking, If it’s the Sonos Play 1 that is reverting the room name, I can say that it’s because it is bonded as a surround speaker on a Home theater set up on the Lounge Beam. but I’ll be asking a few questions to assist you further.

• Is it constantly changing the Room name on a Specific speaker or any random Speaker Room name?
  • Do you have any other 3rd party controllers or applications that may trigger the room name change on the Sonos App?
  • When you set up this Sonos product, does it always change the Room name or since the beginning, it’s changing the Room name always?

Hi @Simon B. Thanks again for helping. In answer to your questions:

1. Yes, its the same One that was the first speaker in the system (prior to the purchase of the beam, sub & Play:1’s some months later). This was originally named ‘Lounge’ but obviously the beam ended up with this label later on.
  2. I don’t believe so. I disabled the Alexa Skill. I do have Plex enabled as a service, but I don’t see how that could interact. I have a Synology NAS on the same network, but no direct link as far as I can tell (certainly not one that's been installed)
  3. There was around six months between the One setup and then the rest of the gear, so I wouldn't have noticed if it had changed name then when standalone. But if I recall it was named ‘Lounge’ and stayed ‘Lounge’ all the time before I moved house and got new gear….
Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hi @marky9074, thanks for the update.  and thank you for all this information that you gave. In this case,  I'll ask you to kindly contact our phone support team for further assistance and for more in-depth troubleshooting steps.