Question

How to connect Active speakers as front speakers to sonos connect?

• 11 August 2019
  • 6 replies

Hello,

I would like to know if the following is possible

Connect a sonos amp to the TV through HDMI arc and play passive speakers as rear channels + use a sonos connect to drive a pair of active speakers with audio coming from sonos amp ARC, playing left and right front?

tks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Not really possible.

The data going to the CONNECT would not be a surround signal, Sonos doesn't support that configuration. And if you were even to "group" the CONNECT with the Sonos Amp, the sound would be delayed by 70ms.
Sorry, there's so much in your post that isn't possible.

You can't use the Sonos Amp as an input from the TV and as a power source for rear speakers. If it's accepting the TV input, it has to be driving the front speakers.
That is very helpful, thanks!
But using two amps I could drive front and rear correct?
Aha... you betcha. I should have mentioned that.

You can certainly use two Sonos Amps, but note that using an Amp to send a signal to an active speaker is not recommended. You'd want to use a passive speaker, and let the Amp power it.

In fact, you could use a Sonos Amp for the fronts, and a CONNECT:AMP to power the rears, if you wanted. You'd just need to be sure that the CONNECT:AMP was wired to the Sonos Amp....but two Sonos Amps would work wirelessly.
note that using an Amp to send a signal to an active speaker is not recommended.
Something of an understatement. It could potentially do serious damage to the active monitors.