Question

How do I verify Playbar receiving 5.1 sound?

• 9 July 2017
  • 3 replies

Badge
I am using a J-Tech HDMI switch that has the Spdif optical output (model #JTD4KAT0301SW). I have the audio output on the switch set to 5.1. Does the Sonos app allow you to verify if it is receiving 5.1 sound? Or can Sonos customer service determine that with diagnostic information?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Look in About My Sonos System in the controller app
Badge
Thanks. When my source is the cable box - the sound is Dolby Digital 2.0. I'll call my cable provider to see if they offer a box with Dolby 5.1 sound; When it's the Samsung Bluray player, it says Stereo. When I change the audio settings from PCM to Bit Stream (unprocessed) I then get 5.1 sound according to the app. My Bluray player model is BD-J6300.
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
A lot of sources are broadcast in Dolby 2.0, at least here in the UK.

I would try and find something from your cable provider that you know is in 5.1 and then check the App... usually movies are the best bet.

I would test this before changing the cable box as it might just be the programs you have been watching happen to be in 2.0