Question

How do I future proof my older sonos speakers to continue using ios?

• 17 June 2019
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +7
Hi guys. Thanks in advance for any help advice... I have three sonos speakers.. 1x old play 5, old play 3 and a play 1 (first gen not alexa enabled etc). my ipod touch I was using for my sonos system recently died so I bought another.. Then when re-installing the sonos app it said that ios support was going to be stopped soon (does anybody know when?) and a workaround was to use airplay.. I tried this via the ipod and it said that none of my sonos speakers were airplay enabled/compatible etc...
I did a little bit of googling and wanted to check the following.... If I buy a newer sonos one which is airplay compatible then it would use the software to tether my other older speakers so they would all play.. Sounds a bit hit and miss. Will this be reliable? Obviously if its a software update that will take out ios support I could defer it as long as poss but with a new device (ie:- my new ipod) you have to download latest sonos software from app store... Any advice appreciated thanks guys

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

when re-installing the sonos app it said that ios support was going to be stopped soon
You're possibly labouring under a misconception. iOS support for the controller is not being dropped at all.

What's being withdrawn is just the "on this device" option to play music stored locally on the iDevice itself. Assuming you simply use the app as a pure controller you won't have to do anything different.

There's more info here.
Userlevel 2
Badge +7
Thanks for the reply. 'on this device' is all I use so would need to go the airplay route I think