Hide volume bar on TV

• 16 December 2017
  • 9 replies

Badge
Looking for info concerning a Sony remote. Trying to hide the volume bar on TV. This page looked helpful, until I saw there is no option for Sony remotes. https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2083?_ga=2.134680502.618882406.1513435187-603380883.1490107190 Any help? Thank you.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Your going to need to find if your tv can’t diable speakers does it have a Hotel mode where you can disable. It may not.

Then the only other option is to set the playbar up as a different remote. If you have a learning remote set it up as another Mfg brand tv for the volume and then tell playbar that is tv you have. If you have just another older tv remote somewhere set it up to control the volume. You just can’t use a remote that controls your tv volume.
Badge
I did disable the TV speakers. Disabling the speakers was part of the set-up process, and that does not remove the volume bar.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
So your tv when it sees th it still brings up the volume bar. So only way to stop is Sonos not using that same ir command. The way to do that is to setup Sonos to respond to a different tv volume commands.

Therefore. As I said use a different tv remote to control volume of playbar or if you have a learning remote then have it learn the commands from another tv manufacturer for volume. Then set playbar to that alternate tv brand.
So your tv when it sees th it still brings up the volume bar. So only way to stop is Sonos not using that same ir command. The way to do that is to setup Sonos to respond to a different tv volume commands.

Therefore. As I said use a different tv remote to control volume of playbar or if you have a learning remote then have it learn the commands from another tv manufacturer for volume. Then set playbar to that alternate tv brand.

So are you suggesting using the original TV remote for controlling the tv functions i.e smart stuff and use a separate remote just for the volume? did I understand that correct?

Surely there is a way to not have the tv show the volume bar as its so annoying as it bears no resemblance to the actual volume being played by the playbar.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It is entirely dependent on the tv manufacturer as to if volume bar shows when speakers disabled. Some TVs it will some it won’t. Nice thing about Nee Sonos beam with arc is it integrates with the on screen volume.

As far as remotes and volume. Some cable remotes and universal remotes etc allow you to set set volume as different device. If using Mfg remote yes it would be pain to have 2 remotes.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
I have a Sony X930e and I don't see any volume indicator with the Beam. Not sure if thats normal. I'm using HDMI ARC
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Assume as well it is Mfg dependent. Arc via my lg shows a volume ring with word Theater in middle.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Interesting, thanks.
As Chris mentioned, a programmable universal remote is a possible solution. My Logitech Harmony is great because it lets me define 'activities', like 'watch Blu-Ray', which powers on the TV and Blu-Ray player, sets the right HDMI input, and sets the Playbar as the audio source. So it doesn't send a volume control message that the TV recognises. So no annoying message on screen.