Help with Sonos Move

• 18 November 2020
  • 8 replies

Badge

i have a surround system in Living room.. soundbar   2 play 1s and a sub.. works great.. i just purchased a move.. can i somehow add that to the surround system as an extra speaker?? Thanks in advance

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

No, unfortunately not.you’ve already got the maximum amount of speakers in a home theater ‘room’. If you added a Move, you’d need to set it up as a separate ‘room’ in the Sonos system, and there will be a 75ms delay between the Home Theater room and the Move’s room, due to the way Sonos buffers music so it can be played across all rooms. Since the Move can’t be ‘in’ the same software room as the Home Theater speakers, you have to pay that extra penalty. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

No, unfortunately not.you’ve already got the maximum amount of speakers in a home theater ‘room’. If you added a Move, you’d need to set it up as a separate ‘room’ in the Sonos system, and there will be a 75ms delay between the Home Theater room and the Move’s room, due to the way Sonos buffers music so it can be played across all rooms. Since the Move can’t be ‘in’ the same software room as the Home Theater speakers, you have to pay that extra penalty. 

Are you able to add Move to a room with 2 Sonos Play 1? 

No. The maximum speakers in a ‘room’ is a stereo pair, or a 5.1 system. You can always ‘group’ two ‘rooms’ so they play the same music. I do this frequently to get the subwoofer that is associated with my 5.1 room to play with another room. I get all speakers playing the same thing.

The program construct of a ‘room’ in Sonos is:

• One speaker
  • A Stereo pair of speakers
  • a Sonos Soundbar (with or without surrounds)

All of those can, in general, have a Sub added to the ‘room’, except for the Move, which doesn’t have the hardware necessary for ‘bonding’ with a Sub. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

No. The maximum speakers in a ‘room’ is a stereo pair, or a 5.1 system. You can always ‘group’ two ‘rooms’ so they play the same music. I do this frequently to get the subwoofer that is associated with my 5.1 room to play with another oom. I get all speakers playing the same thing.

The program construct of a ‘room’ in Sonos is:

• One speaker
  • A Stereo pair of speakers
  • a Sonos Soundbar (with or without surrounds)

All of those can, in general, have a Sub added to the ‘room’, except for the Move, which doesn’t have the hardware necessary for ‘bonding’ with a Sub. 

How do you get the SUB (in my 5.1 room) to play with my Play 1 paired in stereo in another room? So my Play 1 will have the Sub playing? I understand when I “move” my MOVE from one room into another room with my Play 1 it will not be paired but I will get the same music playing.

You group the two rooms together in the Sonos controller. Then all the 5.1 speakers,  including the Sub, play along with the grouped other ‘room’ 

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I didn’t know that. So I’ve been grouping the Base and Sub with my other Sonos all this. Lol. Thx.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

You group the two rooms together in the Sonos controller. Then all the 5.1 speakers,  including the Sub, play along with the grouped other ‘room’ 

To get my paired Sonos Play 1 (in my garage) to group with my Sub/PBase/Sonos One (TV Room) do I need to start the TV Room first, then group it with Garage Room in order to have the Sub on my Sonos Play 1 (garage)? Or can I start/open Garage Room first and then group TV Room and still have the Sub in Garage Room?

Doesn’t make a difference. Start the stream you want to hear in either room, then group the two rooms in the controller. Or, group the two rooms in the controller, then start the stream. I usually do the former, but I think the latter works too.