Answered

Help with line-in and Google Home Mini

• 12 September 2018
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Hi, I have a quick question before going out and buying stuff. I have one Sonos Connect and one Sonos Amp.

My setup is the following:

TV is connected via line-in on Sonos Connect where line out is connected to a receiver. Receiver has output to 4 ceiling speakers in my living room.
The Sonos Amp is connected to my speakers outside on terrace, with no line in plugged in. (I only play music out there so use only Spotify app via Sonos).

Now to my question. I want to buy a Google Home Mini so I can voice control my sonos system, and also (if possible) my TV via Apple TV (preferably) or Google Chromecast. How do I set this up with my curent set up.. I know I can connect a Google Chromecast Audio to either the Sonos Connect and Sonos Amp and then use Yonomi to be able to do this. But I dont know how to connect all the inputs and outputs to get this to work. My "living room line-in" is used by TV output, and the Sonos Amp (where I have a free line-in) only outputs to the speakers outside.
icon

Best answer by melvimbe 12 September 2018, 15:13

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Minor detail, but "Sonos Amp" is actually the name of product Sonos will be releasing later this year. The existing product is the "Connect:Amp".

To your actual question though, I think you have lots of different options really. First, you're statement "the Sonos Amp (where I have a free line-in) only outputs to the speakers outside.", is incorrect. You can use that line it to play outside, inside or both. So you can connect the Chromecast to that input.

Second, you probably have some inputs available on your receiver. You can connect chromecast there, then have the receiver output to the Connect (if your receiver is capable of that), so that you can get audio in your living room and outside.

Third, you don't have to run your TV output through the Connect, it can go directly to the receiver. That would free up your input on the Connect for the chromecast. The downside to this is that TV audio won't be part of your sonos setup and thus can't be played outdoors. Not sure if that's a requirement for you.

Fourth, just wait. Sonos has stated that they will have direct integration with Google by the end of the year. You won't need a free line in or google chromecast.
Userlevel 2
Thanks for fast and detailed information! Sorry about the product name but when I bought the "amp" many years ago it was named zp120.. and later they started to use the terminology "Connect", "Connect:Amp" etc.. so I have been calling them just connect and amp after that :)

Ok, so if I am reading you correctly I can just plug the Chromecast Audio to Connect:Amp without having to play it on the outside speakers? I thought that the Sonos:Amp created a "group" with those speakers and if I input something to that unit then I have to either play on the speakers attached to it alone or together with other groups, but not be able to exclude the speakers connected to the Sonos:Amp. If this is possible, then this is my best solution!

Connecting the TV sound to receiver could be a solution, but I am afraid how I will have to switch audio between the TV and the Sonos system. How I have it set up now allows me to easily switch between TV audio and ie Spotify via the Sonos iOS app. I dont want to have to manually change line-in on receiver and I am not sure if it does change automatic on play.

Thanks again!
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
If you wait, you might find the sonos one will control both your apple tv via airplay2, siri , and google assistant.
Userlevel 2
If you wait, you might find the sonos one will control both your apple tv via airplay2, siri , and google assistant. Well true! But how long will I have to wait? Maybe todays Apple Event? :8
Sonos has stated that it would be in 2018. No more information than that, but many seem to believe/home that it will be before Christmas shopping seasons starts. And there has been any definitive word on functionality either, and I'd be surprised if it doesn't beat out a chromecast connection.