Have I made a mistake purchasing a Beam Gen1 direct from Sonos?

I have had Sonos speakers around my home for a while. I finally got around to Purchasing the Beam Gen 1 direct from Sonos on the 5th May 22.

All of my other Sonos products work faultlessly. The remainder of my network is strong and works faultlessly.   The Sonos Beam however only connects for 20mins or so. Eventually it freezes completely and I have to factory reset in order to wake it up. The problem is exactly the same if you are using WIFI or a Cable connection. 

After being told to buy a new Router, over 20 hours of fault finding and 7 hours on the phone to Sonos. The problem is exactly the same. 
Sonos still believed it was my network at fault. 

After 2 weeks I was able to “escalate” my fault to a return. Great they will replace it.  
  Would you believe the link I was sent for the return doesn’t work. 

I am now in week 3 after purchase of The Beam and I am still yet to experience it. 

My question being does anyone have a Gen 1 Beam they are happy with? Should I push for a refund and get something else? 

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Sorry you’re having some issues. I think this is an exception: the original version of the Beam was sold for several years and received many positive reviews. 

Hope you get things sorted soon. 

My question being does anyone have a Gen 1 Beam they are happy with? Should I push for a refund and get something else? 

Just to briefly answer your question highlighted… ‘Yes’ the Wife and I have the older original Beam (gen1) HT setup in one of the bedrooms, it works fine and is connected to a Samsung TV and linked to our local WiFi. We also have the Beam (gen2) setup in the Dining Room with surrounds and Sub, also on WiFi and linked to an LG TV and that all works fine aswell.

Did your Beam work without any type of network connection for the connected TV audio, or was that an issue for you too?

What router was it connected too?

Just to briefly answer your question highlighted… ‘Yes’ the Wife and I have the older original Beam (gen1) HT setup in one of the bedrooms, it works fine and is connected to a Samsung TV and linked to our local WiFi. We also have the Beam (gen2) setup in the Dining Room with surrounds and Sub, also on WiFi and linked to an LG TV and that all works fine aswell.

Did your Beam work without any type of network connection for the connected TV audio, or was that an issue for you too?

What router was it connected too?

Thanks for the reply.   If the Beam isn’t connected to a network it can’t be found, constantly try’s to reconnect, then freezes completely.  

No the Beam has only ever worked for the 20mins or so it has connection. 
The Router is Technicolour as was the old router. I understand my router is of the lower end of quality(I am planning an upgrade later on). But surely it should still work on cable regardless of WIFI/router quality?

I’m pleased to hear you are happy with your Gen 1 Beam. I will try the replacement. The frustrating thing is that I only want a sound bar for that tv room, I don’t need multi room on that device. Wish I could just plug and play….

Thanks for the reply.   If the Beam isn’t connected to a network it can’t be found, constantly try’s to reconnect, then freezes completely.  

No the Beam has only ever worked for the 20mins or so it has connection. 
The Router is Technicolour as was the old router. I understand my router is of the lower end of quality(I am planning an upgrade later on). But surely it should still work on cable regardless of WIFI/router quality?

I’m pleased to hear you are happy with your Gen 1 Beam. I will try the replacement. The frustrating thing is that I only want a sound bar for that tv room, I don’t need multi room on that device. Wish I could just plug and play….

Hope the replacement Beam resolves your issue.

it should work with your router I guess, assuming there is no WiFi isolation, or other restrictions within the router settings, like QoS or Airtime Fairness and the router caters for Multicast routing and forwarding.

I really like the Beam, personally speaking, it literally was a case of cabling it to the TV (HDMI-Arc Port) and opening the Sonos App, which detected it automatically, installed it and got the recent updates too. It was all up and running in a matter of minutes.

I opted to use CEC control and later added the Alexa assistant for voice control.