Has anyone paired two Moves for use outdoors? I have a single Move, but it doesn't sound anywhere as good as two or three UE booms. I was thinking of getting another Move.

• 10 October 2020
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I bought my move for the garden, mainly for the weatherproofing, but also for the battery, as I didn’t want to run new power lines.

I find that the single move is great, but, compared to my old set of UE booms ( i can buy 4 booms for the same price), the sound is not as fulfilling. When you get sound from 3 directions or 4, it really is literally more immersive.

But the booms cut out at times, Bluetooth vs wifi is not a contest, hence the move.

But one move, does not sound anywhere as good as two booms with a mega boom.

I use one mega boom for bass, and this, with another two booms, has a sound that I prefer.

I wanted to know how two Moves paired would sound, does anyone have any experience?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @BxVelocity, thank you for reaching back to the Sonos Community, and thanks for letting us know your concern here. Let me help you with the steps on how to create a stereo pair for 2 Sonos Move.

Sonos speakers of the same model can be bonded together as a single room in the Sonos app, providing a wider stereo experience.

1. Open the Sonos app for iOS and Android.
  2. From the  Settings tab, tap System.
  3. Under Products, tap one of the speakers you’d like to use in your stereo pair.
  4. Tap Set Up Stereo Pair (or Create Stereo Pair if using the Sonos S1 Controller) and follow the in-app instructions.
  5. For steps to unpair your speakers, see our article on separating a stereo pair.

Let us know if this helps. We and the community are always here to help.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Thanks Rowena, I was asking for how a stereo pair sounds from someone who has one. I know how to set up a stereo pair and have done so with a pair of ones.

I would like to know if it is worth buying

@BxVelocity, The Move can only be paired when in WiFi mode, in Bluetooth mode it’s a standalone device.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I know this, I don't intend to use Bluetooth much.

I'm asking for experience with the move stereo pair on WiFi.

I have a great WiFi signal in my garden, thanks to a Google WiFi node just in the door leading to the garden.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I wouldn't stereo pair speakers for such use outside (or use the term ‘bond') and would just group them as a Room to play the same sound.  Otherwise, depending in where you are sitting, it could easily sound strange and only hear ‘half' the sound.

Nobody can answer this question usefully as it is so subjective and situation dependent.  Buy it direct from Sonos and group the two as @sjw suggested. If you aren't happy, return it. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

It looks like I'll be following John’s advice. 

I find it unusual that no one seems to have a pair of Moves in stereo. So many seem to have a stereo paired 5 set and many swear by it.

So, I'll get another Move and let you know what I think… It might help another on-the-fence Sonos buyer, who knows?

As I wrote just now on the other thread where you have posed the same question, decide the merits of two units by grouping them as two mono speakers. That often works better outdoors than the stereo pairing. Try both and you will see for yourself.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Okay, so I bit the bullet and bought another.

I can verify that a pair of Sonos Moves, outdoors, gives amazing sound- it really is stereo, you can hear crisp instruments discretely on each separate channel and the effect is really good.

There is no doubt, buy a pair- it totally blows away a single move!