Answered

Hard wire Multiple Sonos Zones?

• 19 August 2018
  • 1 reply

I have a 3 story home with a music systems on each floor. I use a Sonos Boost to drive the 3 Sonos Connects (one for each music system per floor). Because of the room locations and the stereo hardware near the Sonos Connects on two of the floors, my Sonos music drops out on those floors. Sonos has confirmed that the signal to each of the dropping out Connects is low and erratic, while the one closest to the Connect is strong and never drops out. The question is; Can I hard wire each of the 3 Sonos Connects into my ethernet and have the system work thus avoiding dropouts on all of the three zones? I would like to be able to have all the systems on at the same time occasionally and in sync. If that is possible, is it also possible to hard wire two of the Connects and leave the Boost for the on Connect that is stable?
icon

Best answer by ratty 19 August 2018, 08:31

Yes. You can wire as many units as you wish.

Note however that whatever you wire them to needs to support STP (Spanning Tree Protocol). Sonos uses this to avoid network loops. Unmanaged (dumb) switches and most routers should be fine, as they'd simply pass STP transparently. If you have managed switches they're likely to need STP ('classic STP') enabled explicitly.

With a small system such as yours you could simply daisy-chain:
router -> Boost -> Connect -> Connect
This would avoid any STP troubles.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Yes. You can wire as many units as you wish.

Note however that whatever you wire them to needs to support STP (Spanning Tree Protocol). Sonos uses this to avoid network loops. Unmanaged (dumb) switches and most routers should be fine, as they'd simply pass STP transparently. If you have managed switches they're likely to need STP ('classic STP') enabled explicitly.

With a small system such as yours you could simply daisy-chain:
router -> Boost -> Connect -> Connect
This would avoid any STP troubles.