Question

Happy and sad - JVC setup

• 14 October 2017
  • 4 replies

Badge
A happy day! I set up my Sonos network
I bought a JVC LT-43C862
After 60mins on the phone to a helpline they tell me that to turn off the speakers I must “press the mute button”
So no connection via Toslink.
As I say, sad day!

Anybody have an idea?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Sorry, but what exactly is the problem you're having? Are you saying you can't turn off the TV speaker or an external speaker (Playbar, I presume), or is it something else?

If you've got your TV connected by optical to the Playbar then just turn down the volume with the TV handset so you can hear the Playbar.

Alternatively you can go through the menus and find "Other Settings" and click through to a sub menu that gives the option to select Internal Speakers or Sound System. When set on Sound System the internal speakers are permanently muted.

If it's none of the above then please write a clear explanation of what the issue is and what you're trying to achieve.
Badge
Thanks for the reply....
I cannot turn off the JVC TV speakers and the Toslink will not control the sound bar sound via the TV remote.... so after some considerable investment in time and money my system does not hit the mark!
I have never seen a TV where you could not turn off the onboard speakers .
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Toslink doesn't carry ary kind of control signal. It never has. It's purely audio in either bitstream format (DD or DTS multichannel) or Stereo PCM.

Some devices allow Toslink to be variable level at the output, but that also changes the resolution of the signal so it isn't a good solution. For the most part then Toslink is fixed level.

Have another read of your TV user manual. It definitely states there's an option control under "Other Settings" which allows you to select sound from the TV speakers or an external sound system, thus muting the TV speakers.
TIP: If you have the pdf version on your PC then use the search function within your pdf reader to hunt for Other Settings. This will take you to every instance of that phrase.

Once the TV is set up properly then you can use the Sonos set-up guide to configure your TV remote to control the Playbar by infra red.
Badge
Thanks Lucid!
There is indeed a setting to change the speakers to “amplifier” from “TV”. It does nothing when changed.
I managed a work around by programming a satellite tv box remote for the volume.

I think i’ll have to get a universal remote....