Google Home

• 17 September 2017
  • 65 replies

Userlevel 1
Google Home and Google Assistant with Sonos
icon

Best answer by Jeff S 1 November 2018, 16:49

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

65 replies

Userlevel 1
Colonel Mustard in the Library with a lead pipe.
Userlevel 1

Seriously! It would boost their sales significantly to allow casting and airplay.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Who the hack is Colonel Mustard?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cluedo

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cluedo

Kids these days...
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi Vaddyfr,

We're working on bringing Google Home to Sonos in 2018. In the meantime you can integrate Google Home into Sonos by using the line-in ports on a PLAY:5, CONNECT, or CONNECT:AMP. Read more here.
Badge
Now that is great news. Will Sonos be publishing its roadmap for this with regards to planned features, control sets, etc? I would hope for something great to replace the old C300 controller (which I still have and use - so much better than the phone interfaces in my opinion!) using the voice domain.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Now that is great news. Will Sonos be publishing its roadmap for this with regards to planned features, control sets, etc? I would hope for something great to replace the old C300 controller (which I still have and use - so much better than the phone interfaces in my opinion!) using the voice domain.

We don't have a roadmap to share right now, but this page has a few more details on Google Home and Sonos.
Badge
@Jeff, many thanks. I will be using that workaround with my current setup, and will wait to see what the sonos-google integration brings later in the year.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Hi Vaddyfr,

We're working on bringing Google Home to Sonos in 2018. In the meantime you can integrate Google Home into Sonos by using the line-in ports on a PLAY:5, CONNECT, or CONNECT:AMP. Read more here.

very exciting!
Keep us updated with the progress 😃
Will the integration require users to buy a new sonos device? Or will our current speakers work seamlessly with google home? My speakers are newer so they don't have a line-in option (not sure why the newer option eliminated a feature?!?!) ... help, would like to buy a soundbar but i'm not doing it until i understand how it will work with google moving forward?
wires...really are we in the 70's
It's been too long for sure, should have finished the Google home integration before AirPlay2
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Does Google integration means also Chromecast or only Google Assistant?
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Sonos are not saying.
So assume the worst and you won't be disappointed ;O).........which for me would be asking a google home to play GPM on a sonos zone.
Yeah Sonos promised that a long time ago without a timeline doesn't make a very serious impression to me. Google Home Max sounds great though. I will wait until September and if there is no update I will sell my Sonos speakers instead of buying more.
The timeline was sometime in 2018. They are still very much within keeping their promise.

I can understand why a Google Home user would want it's integration done first, but I think competition has sort of forced Sonos to put some focus on getting airplay 2 out. Relatively speaking, it's also more of a 'low hanging fruit' type of thing.

As far as features go, I would surprised if it doesn't have at least comparable features to the Alexa integration. I'm hoping it also can handle groups and linking a Home product directly to a Sonos zone. That should help push Alexa to follow up with the same features.

As far as waiting till September, obviously it's your call, but I think the Christmas season drives a lot of the timing of new products and features these days. I would hold off on making a switch for another month or two, as it would be really surprising (to me anyway) if the feature isn't in place before the Christmas shopping season gets revved up. At the very least, there will be more of a market to sell you Sonos, and buy replacements on sale during November/December than in September.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Yeah I guess update available before black Friday ought to be sonos final target.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I would expect Google Home integration and Alexa updated integration to all come by late September (with as we know Airplay2 coming in July).

So I would make my guess as by October 9th.
Okay. I guess I will wait until after the Holidays and see, I can live with it, it is just frustrating that we are hearing plans for Google Assistant integration for a very long time now (I was purchasing my current speakers because of the integration), yet Sonos is not updating people on what their plan is, but rather tries to compete for Apple users (AirPlay 2), real Apple fans will always purchase a HomePod, no matter what.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I think the Apple integration involved a lot less work. Apple probably had canned code just to throw in for Airplay2 support … then they just had to test it. They didn't have to rely on Apple to do any coding on their end to make it work with their product.

Google Home support - like Alexa - gets real complicated when your talking about coding being done on both sides of the isle. So your on Google's schedule to for when they will give you time to code for your needs.
Okay. I guess I will wait until after the Holidays and see, I can live with it, it is just frustrating that we are hearing plans for Google Assistant integration for a very long time now (I was purchasing my current speakers because of the integration), yet Sonos is not updating people on what their plan is, but rather tries to compete for Apple users (AirPlay 2), real Apple fans will always purchase a HomePod, no matter what.

Looking at this informally, there seem to be a lot more users interested in airplay 2 support then Google assistance support. And again, I don't think you can conclusively say that Sonos is prioritizing it's customers, even though it may feel that way.

Regarding Sonos announcing it's plans, it's always a catch-22. What would you have done if Sonos stated nothing about Google integration? Sonos would have lost your sale probably, but you might also be upset that you weren't informed so you could be your decision with more knowledge. As far as updates, then you will have people claiming Sonos is not working fast enough, or complaining they missed deadlines that were never meant to be firm in the first place. You will have complaints about how Sonos prioritizes projects (already happening). And you will likely have to throw your integration partner under the bus blaming them for the length of the project.

You just can't win with announcements like this. Maybe companies like Apple can get away with for a while, but even they seem to be feeling the sting of missing deadlines and not meeting customer expectations lately.
I kind of agree with everyone's frustration albeit trying to be very compassionate and patient. We purchased several Sonos speakers before Christmas of 2017 because we were assured that the Google integration would happen in the next few months. Would be a great enhancement when it comes out... Hopefully they will stand behind the promises made and this will happen soon. Love the speakers which is really what it was originally about... now its about an integrated smart Home and opening up ourselves to IP device hacks which Im sure will happen in the future 🙂
To the best of my recollection, the promise was "in 2018". We have several months left in that time frame.
Badge
To be completely honest the fact that there are no news whatsoever about the progression of the work is really scary.
I bought a Sonos Play 1 with the purpose of integrate it with the One and the Google Home support (you know.. in Switzerland Alexa has not been released yet, therefore the Sonos One is just the same Play 1 with a slightly different design).
Thank God I stopped myself from buying 3 Sonos One based on the "promise" that Google Home support would've come to Sonos.
As for right now, as a new costumer, I can't say I trust Sonos announcement at all.