Generic Router Settings

• 6 October 2018
  • 12 replies

Just wanted to know what most people router settings is. I recently opened advanced wireless settings on my router and most items were set to automatic. Request you guys to post a screenshot of your advanced wireless settings so I can sync mine. I use a D-Link dsl g225. I browsed all its settings and nowhere did it show it has STP features. I heard most people talking about how the STP feature helps with smooth playback.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

I would leave your router settings at their defaults, particularly if you are not sure what you are doing, as you may actually do more harm than good... that’s assuming your Sonos System is working okay...

You only really need consider STP if you are running multiple Sonos devices on your network with 'managed' switches.

You can read more however about The Spanning Tree Protocol here ...

Spanning Tree Protocol

And if you are using SonosNet and have 'managed' switches on your network, then this below link too might prove useful:

Sonos STP Switch Settings

Note the link too, to this community post...

Sonos & The Spanning Tree Protocol
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Wow never seen so much green in a matrix! Whatever the problem is, it is not wireless related.
Yes, I’ve been using their cables for about 10 years now.
Alright, I'll try read those. The system has never played right through an entire album without hiccups. I hardly use this router for internet browsing, I bought it just so I could use Sonos. I'm still gonna try other people settings though, I can slways reset the thing if it gets worse.
This the router I use
Are you playing songs from a library located on an Apple iOS device?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Over the weekend there isn't much Sonos support here but if you post a screenshot of your Sonos network matrix it may give some of the folks that are here an idea or two. Make it large enough the text is legible.

STP really doesn't impact music directly, it impacts the Sonos system being able to set up the connections it needs so I wouldn't put it high on my list of suspects. I'd drop it completely if as Ken mentions you don't have managed switches in your setup.

If you have been looking at advanced settings you might want to check and see if "Airtime Fairness" is turned off, it has given other folks problems.

Aside from posting the matrix can you tell us more about your setup, Standard or Boost mode? If Boost are you wiring a speaker, Bridge or Boost? More than one Sonos device wired?

What music sources are giving problems, any issues with your local music library?
Are you playing songs from a library located on an Apple iOS device?I play from my HP laptop
Over the weekend there isn't much Sonos support here but if you post a screenshot of your Sonos network matrix it may give some of the folks that are here an idea or two. Make it large enough the text is legible.

STP really doesn't impact music directly, it impacts the Sonos system being able to set up the connections it needs so I wouldn't put it high on my list of suspects. I'd drop it completely if as Ken mentions you don't have managed switches in your setup.

If you have been looking at advanced settings you might want to check and see if "Airtime Fairness" is turned off, it has given other folks problems.

Aside from posting the matrix can you tell us more about your setup, Standard or Boost mode? If Boost are you wiring a speaker, Bridge or Boost? More than one Sonos device wired?

What music sources are giving problems, any issues with your local music library?
My system is setup on boost mode, only the sub is wired to the router. The two play 5s are paired for stereo. I don't stream from music services because I don't have money to waste. I play music stored on my computer.

this is the network matrix
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
That matrix looks great so I'd not suspect a WiFi issue is the root of your problems. If it is only on music from your library that pretty much rules out Internet related issues. I'd wait for it to start having issues and submit a diagnostic to Sonos and post the number here so they can look into the possibilities of a local networking or sharing issue.

Twitter of Facebook might be faster than here, the phones are closed until Monday
Is anyone still using the Ethernet cables provided by Sonos? I have been having them for about a year now and never thought of replacing them. I thought because I don't temper a lot with them they would not be responsible for any problems that came up.