Forcing Sonos to use DHCP

• 30 December 2019
  • 7 replies

Hey all.  I have 3 Play 3s and a Sub.  All devices on my network are ‘supposed’ to get an IP via DHCP.  Everything complies with this except for one of my Sonos speakers.  I have it’s MAC assiged to grab a specific IP, but it ONLY uses an IP outside of the DHCP range, and no matter what I do it won’t revert to using the IP I want it to use.  Why would this be, and how can I force it to change IPs to the one I’ve got assigned.  

For clarity all devices are on the same subnet and should be grabbing their IP from my local DHCP server.  I’ve even blocked the IP it’s using but it just won’t let go, even after unplugging it for awhile and rebooting both my wireless APs and my router.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Have you checked the IP lease time? You should be able to release the assigned IP address. Is your DHCP range sufficient for all devices?

I deleted all leases related to my Sonos devices so it’s not a lease time issue.  The range is sufficient for all devices, they are all mapped within the DHCP servers IP range.

Double check the MAC address of the device vs what you have in the reservation table.

Did that too.  I even cut and pasted it to make sure I wasn’t mis-typing it, still no luck.  It’s still holding on to that strange IP for dear life, I’ve blocked it from all WAN and LAN communications in hopes that it dumps that IP and grabs the one I have reserved for it but so far nothing.  So strange.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

With multiple other Sonos devices you could try a factory reset of the offending device. Sonos does not recommend a factory reset before consulting them but in this case it might work. 

I’d set up the static/reserved IP before resetting it, power it down, reboot the router, factory reset the Sonos, add it back to your system.

With multiple other Sonos devices you could try a factory reset of the offending device. Sonos does not recommend a factory reset before consulting them but in this case it might work. 

I’d set up the static/reserved IP before resetting it, power it down, reboot the router, factory reset the Sonos, add it back to your system.

Hey Stanley, just wanted to follow up.  Did a factory reset on the offending Play 3 and it worked, released that strange IP and grabbed the one I assigned via DHCP.  Thanks very much for your help!

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Great, one of the very few times a Factory Reset has fixed things!