Question

Feature Development

• 20 January 2017
  • 11 replies

Badge
Creat a functionality

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Badge
Never used this site before but it would be great if Sonos worked with Nest products, the Amazon Echo and Google Speakers both do this so should be possible. Also how about speech function, developed the sonos system so you can talk to it!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos is developing to work with Alexa (Amazon Echo)
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
I don't understand any point in connecting a speaker to a thermostat?
Nest thermostats track if you are home or away so they can do automatic setback when the house is empty. That status can be leveraged to start some music if the thermostat detects a transition from away to home status (as an example).
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
Ha ha that's funny, because according to my PoS Nest I leave the house about twice a month. And that's with Nest assist turned ON and connected to my iPhone, and I live alone. So yeah..
Was just explaining the logic that might be behind the request... never said it was a good idea. There are lots of better ways to trigger Sonos music automatically upon return home but I can't think of any other reasons to integrate a Nest thermostat with Sonos.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
Yeah I hear you and I agree about the connectivity, but just not with Nest!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You can link the Nest and Sonos via Smartthings hub. Smartthings will even to text to speech via Sonos. Smartthings is my morning alarm where it wishes me good morning,tells me the weather via Sonos and tells me it has disarmed my security system etc.
How do you use Nest with Sonos via Smartthings? Do you have Smartthings do a TTS announcement through Sonos when a Nest thermostat is changed to a new set point?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I don't currently have it set to do anything with Nest as far as TTS and Sonos currently. I do have my nest via Smartthings being set to home mode when security system is turned off. You can create Smartthings SmartApps to do many various tasks and report out via TTS and Sonos. I haven't looked for one with Nest but probably one already done by someone. I have a Wake app that does various functions based on timer and included TTS via Sonos. My alarm arming or disarming is announced via Sonos. If alarm goes off it actually does an announcement via TTS. I can also play/pause etc. sonos music via Smartthing. There are a lot of things it can do.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Here is examples as to what I'm talking about https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9ssqIja8gU