Question

Existing system with connect.

• 15 April 2017
  • 9 replies

Badge
Hi everyone,

I am looking to delve into the world of sonos for home theater and music but am concerned about potentially using my existing system with a connect.

I currently use an old analog rotel amp with mordaunt short ms10i bookshelf speakers. The speakers are a sweet sounding unit for their size and I would love to use them for the rears but from what I've read thus far I'm going to run into issues with lag if I try to use the sub/playbar when listening to music.

My question then, is there anyway I could get this to work? Or am I better off ditching the old system and using sonos speakers exclusively?

Cheers,
Richard.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

You could use those speakers as the rear speakers without any lag issues. But to do so you would have to buy a Sonos Connect:Amp to power them. However, to use a C:A and speakers as rears for the Playbar/Sub, you have to operate in "Boost" mode (I.e a Sonos device of some sort wired to the router) and there must be a wired connection between the Playbar and C:A - that could be achieved by running an Ethernet cable between the two, or by wiring both to the router.

Personally, I think you would find it easier, and possibly get a better result, by buying two Play:1s for the rears.

(I don't see any role here for a Connect. You cannot use a Connect + conventional amp + speakers in a 5.1 Sonos setup )
Badge
Hi John B,

Thanks for the prompt response. I didn't know you couldn't use the connect with a conventional amp but it makes sense really.

Running another cable from the playbar to the C.A seems convoluted because (and correct me if I'm wrong) the C.A would need to be near the rear speakers for the speaker wire and I'd rather not run the extra wire from the front to the rear.

So. It seems you've given me my way forward which is to buy the play 1's which would be cheaper anyway. Just a shame not to use my existing speakers because they really are quite nice. Looks like Iike I'll be selling them shortly.

Thanks again.
Just a shame not to use my existing speakers because they really are quite nice.
Ditto about the rotel amp, to be honest. Have you tried how TV sounds using just the amp and two speakers as front left/right speakers, via the audio out on the TV? If that sounds good, all you may need is a Connect unit as a Sonos front end, because for sure music must sound good from this Rotel driven set up.
Just so you are clear.... you CAN use a Connect with a conventional hifi - that is what it is for. But you can't use it for rear speakers in a 5.1 set up, just as a standalone hifi system. A Connect turns a hifi into a Sonos player.
Badge
Hi Kumar/John B,

I had that setup going for a while and yes it sounds great. I need to get some more quality leads to hook the t.v up as I only have the cd player connected atm.

So if I use the existing amp/speakers as the front end would this remove the need for a soundbar completely? I was under the impression that I needed a centre speaker for a surround sound system. As you can probably tell I'm new to the home cinema lark and any advice is greatly appreciated.

If I use the existing setup with a connect as the front end and some play 1's at the rear, this would work correct? Also, if I added a playbar/sub would it all play nicely together? I hope that makes sense?☺

Cheers.
Basically no. The Connect does stereo only. Your only route to proper surround sound with Sonos is a Playbar or Playbase.

You cannot use Play speakers for rear speakers and the Connect for front and get proper multichannel sound.

So if I use the existing amp/speakers as the front end would this remove the need for a soundbar completely? I was under the impression that I needed a centre speaker for a surround sound system.

I suggest one step at a time, starting with the above, that involves no purchase of any kit at this time.

Using the two speakers in stereo mode flanking the TV creates a phantom centre channel effect for dialogue, that still then appears to emanate from the TV. While I have a 4 zone Sonos set up, this is all I have in my dedicated to movies room, and I am perfectly happy with that for the kind of movies I see, for over 15 years now. I get decent results from even effects laden movies, although, not on par with a full monty home theatre set up that has a sub and many more speakers! But, as I said, it meets my needs very well. And for just music, is all that is needed.

I suggest step 1, and see how it goes; based on that, decide between Connect/Playbar or Playbase/Sub/Play 1 pair for surround duty, in incremental next steps. Unfortunately, using a Connect with the existing kit and adding either a Sub or a play 1 pair for surround duty is not a workable option in the world of Sonos. A typical set up from that world will have Playbar or Playbase, with Sub for effects, and play 1 pair for rear speaker. And no role for what you have just now.
Badge
Thanks for your help guys. I think I've got my head around it now.