Answered

Essential III and Play 5 Sound Issue

• 3 January 2020
  • 4 replies

Hi, after reading and adjusting the “source level” to 10, I finally get sound out of my Play 5 (from an Essential III turntable with a built in amp, apparently--I am very new to all this.)  But the sound is still quite low--I have all the volume up and you can hear it ok, but it should be blasting at this point.  (Using Auto Play too with volume at 100%.)

??

Thanks,

Kit

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 3 January 2020, 04:39

If, indeed that turntable has a pre-amp built in, it’s not turned on. Double check the switch, if there is one, and make sure it is on “line”. If it is, try switching it to Phone, then back to Line.  If memory serves (and it may not) I think the switch is under the turntable itself?

View original

4 replies

If, indeed that turntable has a pre-amp built in, it’s not turned on. Double check the switch, if there is one, and make sure it is on “line”. If it is, try switching it to Phone, then back to Line.  If memory serves (and it may not) I think the switch is under the turntable itself?

Looking at the manual, here:

https://www.project-audio.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Manual_Essential-III-FlexiRange.pdf

It suggests that this turntable does not have a pre-amp. In fact, page 7 says: Line inputs (such as CD, Tuner, Tape or Video) are not suitable.

Line input is what the Sonos is expecting. I’d be purchasing a pre-amp on somewhere like Amazon (they’re relatively inexpensive) and insert it between the turntable and the Sonos, and you’ll be much happier.

I do note in that manual that other versions of the turntable do have a line output, just not the base one, which is what you listed.

Bruce!  Thank you -- there was a switch under the turntable!  You are a dream, it has been a long, frustrating night, thanks for being out there!

LoL. You’re most welcome. You must have something more than just the base model. Be careful not to blow your ears out :)