Eero & Wirless Range Exender Error

• 5 November 2018
  • 8 replies

I've recently started getting a "Wireless Range Extender" with my Eero wireless network. Everything still seems to work through - I can play music to all of my Sonos speakers, and group them. I do not have a Sonos Boost or any speaker hard-wired to my router. Anyone else seeing this behavior?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

The players have presumably connected to multiple Eero access points. Assuming these use different 2.4GHz channels, Sonos performance in a group will be suboptimal.

It's typically not a good idea to use Sonos on a meshed WiFi system in 'Standard'/WiFi setup. Advice is usually to wire a player or Boost to one of the WiFi units, ideally the primary one.
That’s the first time I have personally seen that Sonos (error) message. That’s a nice idea, to inform users how to setup their system correctly in a multi-access node environment.

SonosNet is definitely the much better way to operate the Sonos devices within such a setup. I would personally make sure the main hub and access points are on one available WiFi channel and that SonosNet is placed on another 'least-used' channel, at least 5 channels apart from the one being broadcast by the hubs, so as to prevent signal overlap. That’s the way to go, I think.
I am having this issue now. I have used the Eero mesh for over a year and never had an issue or an error message like this until a couple of weeks ago. I had the message appear for 2 weeks, but had not problems with grouped speakers underperforming. Today... I can no longer group several of of my speakers. This is very frustrating.

This fact, combined with the error message suggesting that I buy more SONOS hardware to fix the problem has me scratching my head. 😠
chris3832,

Did you follow Ratty's suggestion ...

“It's typically not a good idea to use Sonos on a meshed WiFi system in 'Standard'/WiFi setup. Advice is usually to wire a player or Boost to one of the WiFi units, ideally the primary one.”
Same issue here. Sonos worked flawlessly for a year now getting this range extender message and can’t use all my rooms. Did anyone find a fix?
I just started to receive this error as well. Everything has been working great in the over a year we've had the Eero up and running. I'm not sure why this is now becoming an issue. It all worked great before. It's very disappointing. Sonos has been great so far and now it's becoming unusable to play music on. 😞
I just started to receive this error as well. Everything has been working great in the over a year we've had the Eero up and running. I'm not sure why this is now becoming an issue. It all worked great before. It's very disappointing. Sonos has been great so far and now it's becoming unusable to play music on. :(
Don't connect it in WiFi ('wireless') mode to your mesh then. Simply wire one Sonos unit to a nearby Eero pod, which will automatically put the system onto its own (SonosNet) wireless segment.
I used to do that but had way more connection issues that way which is why we installed Eero to begin with. All the connection issues went away when we moved it all to Eero originally.