Dropped Streaming From NAS and Untolerable Buffering

• 7 September 2018
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2
I use Sonos for virtually all my music playback - including local radio stations which I bring in through Tune-In and it works incredibly well except when streaming my library from my NAS which is hardwired to my network. 99% of my music is uncompressed ALAC or FLAC and it buffers so much that songs skip, drop ad are basically un-listenable. If I play one of MP3 or AAC files ..... no problem at all. My home is covered with sonos with 1 Boost Hardwired to the router alongside the NAS with 2 AMPs 1 Connect a Play 3 and a Play 5. This is a 2 part question:
(1) Will adding more Boosts improve the network congestion (it's just my wife and I so there aren't many devices on the network) and help the streaming issue? (2) I've been thinking about getting a Mesh Network Setup Would configuring the Sonos to use the Wifi Network instead of its own mesh improve things. I understand there are many variable that affect the outcome so I'm looking for generalities that may help me work this out, because at the moment I have about 3500 digital CDs I cant listen to.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos from a NAS is moving so little data I can't imagine it being the NAS's problem, my tiny Raspberry Pi NAS is streaming Sonos right now, FLAC but compressed at level 5 (as I could see no reason not to compress them) and showing under 2% CPU use. ALAC I can't address.

You could add wired Boosts, more wired Sonos speakers or wire some of your existing stuff. Only wiring your existing gear is going to take a load off the WiFi though. Have you looked at your Network Matrix to see what your system is doing now? Often that will provide a clue to general RF problems or localized issues that need to be solved. In my case I had a WD external drive (no WiFi in it) that was stepping on my SonosNet and moving it a meter away helped enormously. Try http://speaker-ip-here:1400/support/review (the Boost won't work for this)

Putting Sonos on your WiFi instead of SonosNet isn't usually a good thing and I'd read a bit here before thinking about trying to move your Sonos to a non-Sonos mesh setup.

You might sens Sonos a diagnostic next time you have the issue and post the number here, they can see much more info inside your system than you can.
Badge +20
Your system is pretty much a role model and should work!

As Stanley says... submit a diagnostic, Sonos staff will pick up this thread and chime in.

In the meantime don’t go buying anything additional but look at the basics by ruling out the NAS. A failing drive or power supply could cause issues so try and test by copying files to and from a laptop / desktop machine and play back ALAC / FLAC files, ideally the test machine would be wireless.

Do make sure your Boost is not too close to the router, several feet or more is best and that your home WiFi is on a different channel to the one Sonos uses.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
I appreciate your replies. Wiring all the gear isn't an option nor is wiring in more boosts but I just submitted a new diagnostic to support. Code: 1896798176. I've been playing around with different room or zone groupings. Just sent this to support:

I don’t know if this ticket is still active on your system.

I just sent a new diagnostic: 1896798176

This drop out problem continues to be persistent. In fact it so bad, I haven’t even tried to play from my music library in over a month. But today being Sunday with a little time to play with I thought I’d mess around and try again.

In my office on the ground floor of our home I have my Router a TRI BAND powerful unit. Hardwired directly to it is My NAS and a BOOST. 10 Feet away is a Connect: Amp Called Office 30 Feet away in the opposite direction is a Connect Called Living Room 6 Feet away from that is a Connect Amp called Back Yard. So, 3 devices on the same floor in spread out over 50 ft

Directly above the Boost on the 2nd floor is a Play 5 called Bathroom and Directly Above on the 3rd floor is a Play 3 Called M Office

So, 3 Devices stacked in a linear line of about 25 feet.

Today I tried playing from my music library uncompressed files in Party Mode Result = constant drop in and out where it plays one zone, drops another.

So I decided to try to just play 2 zones on ground floor.

Played the amp in the office just feet away from the boost and grouped in the living room 30 feet away. The Living room dropped in and out. So, I stopped everything and reversed it. I played from Living room and grouped in Office -Result = NO PROBLEM

I continued playing from Living Room and Grouped in Everything else, and the stuttering resumed.

None of this makes any sense to me, theoretically, should connect to the unit closest to the source (boost) but that didn’t work.

Will more BOOSTS fix this? Should I get rid of the Boost and run over my Wi-Fi network?

Will getting rid of my router and the boost, and converting my network to MESH network and running over it fix things.

I’ve got a lot of money tied up in SONOS and I’ve got approx. 3500 Lossless CDs on my NAS that are mostly unusable.
Badge +20
Please read last paragraph in my post, this actually applies to all Sonos equipment in proximity to other devices which have WiFi enabled, in fact even devices without WiFi can cause interference.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Thanks Belly M So I did have the boost and router separated by about 3 feet but they were sitting on the same shelf (On top of a book shelf . I moved the boost to 4 feet below the router and voila! the problem is gone. I would have thought the boost would perform better where it was, completely unobstructed by anything and 10 feet up - but its now sitting at a height of 6 feet, inside a bookshelf surrounded by shelves, a wall and books - but it's working much better! Who would of thought? - well apparently, you! Thanks