Answered

Download a Sonos playlist

• 27 January 2019
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 2
I have created a few Sonos playlists and I would like to copy the playlist songs to an SD card for playing in the car. I've searched and searched but all references I find refer to uploading songs or playlists to Sonos, I cannot find any references to how to download/export a playlist to other devices.

Is this possible? And if not is this a feature that can be considered for future updates? It is an incredibly simple feature to implement so I am amazed it hasn't already been implemented, and it seems a shame to spend so much time building playlists in Sonos that I can't make use of on other devices.

Just to clarify, all the songs I want to download/export are on my network, i.e. I'm not talking about downloading anything from any streaming services.

Thanks

Mark
icon

Best answer by controlav 27 January 2019, 16:19

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 1
Thanks Controlav. I did think that through but was unsure whether it would make the registration at the other end difficult. In the end, as he only really needed one of the lists [64 items] I screenshotted it and entered it manually.

If anyone from Sonos is reading, this is a criticism. A routine function to export / import content is a basic requirement and should have been addressed years ago. Until this I had a high opinion of Sonos and often advocated them. This has seriously diminished that as I now how no confidence in their committment to customers.
Userlevel 1
On the subject of strong reactions, I hoped to nudge Sonos rather than get sarcasm from the community.

You are right about the Product. I agree it is excellent and has everything you say. I was disappointed with the fact that Sonos are so unresponsive on a feature request.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
It is easy enough to extract a Sonos playlist from the system (with a 3rd party app, with UPnP Spy, or a few lines of code), but the problem is using it somewhere else. If the music files are on a file share, for example, that isn't going to work in the car. If it is content from Spotify, for example, the url to the content wont work without authorization.

The easy solution is to use playlists from the music service you using (eg Spotify), instead of Sonos Playlists. You can use such playlists on your Sonos system, or in the car with the Spotify app there.
Userlevel 1
The non activity from Sonos on this is disappointing. I have had a Sonos system for years and built up Playlists. My autistic son is about to move out into supported living. I have bought him a Play:1 to take with him. I would like to export his playlists from my system and import them into his system at his new home.
From reading the thread my options are take my chances with a github product or manually re enter the items.
Thus far I have always been a fan of Sonos. This has dented that enthusiasm. I had assumed a function as standard as export / import would exist but did not check. If I had checked before I bought the Play:1 I would not have bought it.

Anyone used the github method and can provide any feedback?
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
For that specific use there is an potentially easier method: take the new Play:1 and add it to your existing system. the Sonos playlists will sync to the new device. Once verified, unplug the device and give it to him. Both devices will technically be on the same household but different networks, but that wont be a problem unless you do something that uses the Cloud API or Alexa.

Of course the playlist wont actually work on his system unless the content it refers to is also available. I'm assuming its on a NAS or file share, which will need to be identically configured on his moved system (same name/share name/account).
This has seriously diminished that as I now how no confidence in their committment to customers.Of course you are entitled to your opinion, but perhaps that is a rather strong reaction to the absence of a feature that is in practice hardly ever required? Let's forget the great sound quality, multi-room sync, voice control, range of streaming services etc etc?? Sonos aren't committed to their customers because one particular feature is absent?
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
I was disappointed with the fact that Sonos are so unresponsive on a feature request.
Hear, hear.
Userlevel 4
Badge +9
Although I understand that someone would want this, if you understand how Sonos works you’ll know this is NOT easy. A playlist is simply a list of links to the physical location of the music file, now Sonos playlists can consist of files from many different sources (your PC, NAS, Spotify, Pandora, Deezer etc account). What would happen if you export such playlist to a device outside your network you think?
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
Although I understand that someone would want this, if you understand how Sonos works you’ll know this is NOT easy.
If NASA could put a man on the moon 50 years ago, how hard can it be for Sonos to make a playlist exportable? If it were only for backup purposes...

What would happen if you export such playlist to a device outside your network you think?
Don't know. Sonos should find a solution, that I do know.