Answered

don't want to update

Badge
Hi all
I want to keep using sonos 9.2. I dont want to update. Can I?
If I update to any other Sonos controller, I also need to update to macOS 10.11, which I cant.
Can I please keep using the product I paid for without having to update?
Many thanks
icon

Best answer by Smilja 11 May 2019, 14:24

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

Badge
5 days ago I wrote a reply to say that I think a found a solution to my issue. It seems like Sonos didn't like it because the text wasn't published. The software called SonoAir allows me to use my speaker and the software from Sonos doesn't.

Thanks again everyone for your help
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Best bet for complaining to Sonos is via e-mail so you can be sure you are communicating clearly and there are no differences in what both sides think the issues are. See the Contact page for the address.
Sonos does not support the ability to downgrade. I've heard rumours of places not supported by Sonos that provide the data, but I've no idea 1) how that would work and 2) if it's free of malware.
This would require root access to the system, and as far as I am aware Sonos has never been hacked.
Sonos does not support the ability to downgrade. I've heard rumours of places not supported by Sonos that provide the data, but I've no idea 1) how that would work and 2) if it's free of malware.
Badge
The truth is that at least all the other apps I use on macOS 10.10 work perfectly [and I have 21 installed] and not a single one of them forces me to update to continue using it. On top of that, I didnt have to spend 200€ on hardware that has become useless for any of those apps.
There are really no options at all to downgrade the firmware?

Thanks for your responses and your help
Of course Sonos thinks that it is legal. You may want to read the legal disclaimers you clicked on, or accepted when you started using the unit.

However, feel free to engage legal representation, it's always possible that the suite of lawyers that Sonos used to write those terms and conditions failed in some way.
Amazing. Is this even legal? I guess the firmware got updated because that was the default setup.
Sonos, can you plese let me know how can I make a formal complaint?

Many thanks

I'd suggest to take the complaint to Apple. Please don't tell me that every app available on the Mac App Store is still working perfectly fine on your macOS 10.11 machine.
Badge
Amazing. Is this even legal? I guess the firmware got updated because that was the default setup.
Sonos, can you plese let me know how can I make a formal complaint?

Many thanks
I don't know all of the details, but in some cases Apple forces developers to use new features that are not supported in older versions of Apple systems -- else the App will be de-listed.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
You are basically telling me that I cannot use the product I paid for, unless I buy a new device. Am I wrong?

I believe you are correct. Apple decided to abandon your Mac hardware, and Sonos decided to require a newer MacOS version than your hardware supports. Meanwhile you upgraded your player firmware (not sure how?) and moved you to purgatory.
Badge
Thank you very much for your responses.
You are basically telling me that I cannot use the product I paid for, unless I buy a new device. Am I wrong?
See the attached for some additional information.

One can prevent automatic player firmware updates from the Settings --> System Updates menu. Controller updates are not automatic.
Dont really see why you need that. Just want to know if I can keep using my system without updating, but there you go.
I can tell you why. The firmware of the components has already been updated, meaning, it is too late because controller software and firmware build need to be on the same version in order for the system to work properly. Now the [Mac] controller(s) will insist on being updated as well. You will have to use an Android (running at least v5.0) or iOS device (running v10 or higher) to continue to use your Sonos system.
Badge
Dont really see why you need that. Just want to know if I can keep using my system without updating, but there you go.

First off, post a screenshot of "About my Sonos System".