Answered

Does Sonos Move offers stereo or mono sound?

• 9 January 2020
  • 10 replies

Hi there, I would like to know if Sonos move gives a mono sound or a stereo sound on its own?

Tanks

icon

Best answer by jgatie 9 January 2020, 16:09

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

The Move is mono, but two Moves can be paired for stereo (WiFi only, no pairing with Bluetooth). 

Thanks a lot. And just to be sure, the same happens with Sonos One? And the only Stereo Speaker on its own is the Play 5?

Thanks a lot. And just to be sure, the same happens with Sonos One? And the only Stereo Speaker on its own is the Play 5?

Yes, the Play:5 is stereo.  

Badge

Can I pair Sonos Move only with another Sonos Move to a Stereo Pair or can I also Pair it with a Sonos One or Sonos Play ?

Can I pair Sonos Move only with another Sonos Move to a Stereo Pair or can I also Pair it with a Sonos One or Sonos Play ?

You can only stereo pair the same models.

Badge

Thanks for the quick answer.

Kind of disappointing that it does not work with other models. 

But “grouping” is something else right ? and it should work with Sonos On …. or not ?

But “grouping” is something else right ? and it should work with Sonos On …. or not ?

Grouping is different than a stereo pair.  You can have the Move play music in sync with a Sonos One, for example, it’s just that they will both be playing mono rather than stereo pair.  

Essentially, a single speaker, or a bonded stereo pair, home theatre setup, etc...make up a Sonos room.  Sonos rooms can be grouped together.

Pairing two models that have different sonic characteristics makes no sense.  Stereo pairs are meant to blend into a seamless soundstage.  That effect is diminished if you have one channel sounding different from the other.

Yes, any room can be grouped with any other room(s).  They will all play the same signal, there is no L/R channel separation.

The Move is mono, but two Moves can be paired for stereo (WiFi only, no pairing with Bluetooth). 

I’m very new to setting up my a/v system, and I’m a little lost by this answer… I have a projector that I’d like to pair with bluetooth speakers. If I connect one Move to the projector via bluetooth, could I not also pair another Move to the first Move over wifi for a stereo speaker set-up? Any help would be appreciated.

I’m very new to setting up my a/v system, and I’m a little lost by this answer… I have a projector that I’d like to pair with bluetooth speakers. If I connect one Move to the projector via bluetooth, could I not also pair another Move to the first Move over wifi for a stereo speaker set-up? Any help would be appreciated.

No.  Moves can be paired as stereo only when connected to the Sonos system and app.  Using Bluetooth switches it off the Sonos system and app, making it a standalone Bluetooth speaker.