Does "Search" on the Sonos app look through all the subscribed services?

• 4 February 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3
  • Avid Contributor I
  • 25 replies

Does "Search" on the Sonos app look through all items in the subscribed services? I mean those which are listed under "Browse" in the app.

Here is an example of the omissions I find. I am in the UK and my subscribed services in the Sonos app include TuneIn, MyPlayer Radio, Radioplayer, and Sonos Radio. The radio station "Absolute 80s" is a UK station carried by TuneIn, MyPlayer Radio and Radioplayer, as I can verify from their web sites. However when I search on the Sonos app for "Absolute 80s" it lists only Radioplayer.

What I am trying to establish is how comprehensive the "Search" facility is and whether I always need to painstakingly look through the services under "Browse" to see all the options for streaming.

PS: I am using Sonos S2 app on Android.

5 replies

@Sarno,
I can’t account for every radio service that you mention in your post, as I don’t use them all, but I notice you mentioned the ‘Absolute 80s’ station and TuneIn - it’s not clear if you mean the old, or new TuneIn service?

Anyhow I use the ‘new’ TuneIn service in the Sonos App and when I search in the App I do see a result from that service for Absolute 80s, see attached screenshot, but in my case I’m using an iOS device, rather than Android.

As for the other mentioned services, which I don’t use, you might need to ask Sonos Support about those. They are contactable via this link below:

https://support.sonos.com/s/contact

Hope that assists.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

it’s not clear if you mean the old, or new TuneIn service?

Anyhow I use the ‘new’ TuneIn service in the Sonos App and when I search in the App I do see a result from that service for Absolute 80s,

@Ken_Griffiths.  Hi Ken, I wasn’t aware of the new TuneIn app. I never received a notification or anything else about it. Thank you for mentioning it. I switched to the new TuneIn and it does indeed show the station “Absolute 80s” I used in my example.

By chance your screenshot also shows the Planet Radio service, which I wa also not aware could be a Sonos service. So I have installed that too. By another chance, it turns out Planet radio is the official source for the radio station I mentioned in my example.

My remaining question is why MyTuner Radio (which I mistakenly called MyPlayer Radio in my original post) doesn’t show “Absolute 80s” when searched in the Sonos app, even though its web site does list it. 

@Sarno,

I don’t use that service where I am currently, but if you think it’s perhaps a fault, then I would just text/chat to the Sonos Support Staff (when available) via the link in my earlier post, to see what they say, but it might (likely) be an issue with the myTuner server, or they just choose to not share everything via the Sonos API, but maybe see what Sonos Support say.

@Sarno,

I’ve just had another further thought - did you perhaps not expand the myTuner search result using the right chevron arrow next to its name in the results list? I’ve seen people forget to do that, on occasions.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

@Sarno,

I’ve just had another further thought - did you perhaps not expand the myTuner search result using the right chevron arrow next to its name in the results list? I’ve seen people forget to do that, on occasions.

@Ken_Griffiths  I am using the “right chevron” to expand the stations found. I’ve found it it’s fairly essential to do this for a lot of searches. I will ask MyTuner Radio if they are withholding that station (and any others) to the Sonos API.