Answered

Does adding a SUB actually change the sound profile of the other speakers?

• 13 November 2018
  • 1 reply

Badge
Following on from my other thread where I'm trying to work out my ideal set up so I may want to switch the power off certain speakers for certain listening..

If I have a couple of ONE's set up with the SUB, do the ONE's still get a full range of sound or is there a high pass filter enabled so they don't have to handle the lower frequencies?

What then happens if I simply turn off the power to the SUB?
icon

Best answer by melvimbe 13 November 2018, 14:43

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Yes, the sound profile does change. The Sonos Ones will not output the same amount of bass since the Sub is now handling that load. The effect is going to be more noticable on the Beam than the Sonos Ones because the Beam is built with more bass output than the Sonos Ones. So turning off the Sub is not really recommended. I'm not quite sure what the usecase for turning off the sub would be anyway, as it plays a part in music and TV sources regardless of the codecs used.

Aside: This is the reason why some feel that a sub bonded with play:5s doesn't give you that much 'bang for your buck" as play:5s are rather strong with bass to begin with. Adding a sub to Sonos Ones/Play:1s gives a much more noticable effect since the Sonos Ones are relatively weak with bass.