Should I upgrade my application?

• 30 November 2020
  • 10 replies

Hello All in the Community! I continued to be asked to upgrade my app on my phone everytime I log in. I have a friend that did the upgrade and is now no longer able to use their devices. What is the deal with the older devices. Will it brick my networked amps and portables if I upgrade the software?

I have Sonos Play 1 and Sonos Connect Amps. 

Thank you

Ralph

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

The PLAY:1s are certainly S2 compatible, but you should log in here to check the status of your Amps. That page should tell you if they are S2 capable or not. If so, then yes, I’d recommend updating. If not, don’t change from S1, and everything will continue to work as before for the foreseeable future, you just won’t get any ‘new’ features that Sonos releases. 

As to your friend, either they availed themselves of the hardware upgrade process during the six weeks Sonos had the whole bricking policy, now long since stopped, or he has a local issue that needs to be resolved. The vast majority of folks, like myself, moved from S1 to S2 without any issue at all. There are members of this community who chose not to upgrade some of their components, while upgrading others, and run two systems, one S1 and the other S2. There are a lot of options available.

Issues can be vexing, but if someone doesn’t ask for help, the issue won’t fix itself, most often.

Thank you, Bruce! I clicked on the link to see the status of the Amps, but I am unable to see if they are S2 compatible. I could be missing something. I fear I would brick my system if I did any other updates, so I have been putting that off. 

Nobody’s system has been ‘bricked’ and yours isn’t going to be.  Please check in your app settings, System, About My System.  What version is your system on?  What version is the controller app on?

On the label on your Connact:Amps, just before the serial number is a four digit code.  What are those codes for your C:As?  Do you C:As have a button with a mute symbol or a play/pause symbol?

My Sonos App info 

Version 11.2.2

Sonos OS S1

Build 57379100

Connect: Amp
Play:1
Play:1
Sonos One
Connect: Amp

What version is your system on, i.e. the speakers? 

The Sonos website is a bit perverse, only showing a negative confirmation. If your devices can not run S2, it shows a flag. If they can run S2, it shows nothing. 

I’ll let John continue his line, as he’s got much more experience than I. 

My suspicion is that all that is happening is that the S1 system wants to update to get in line with the S1 app. If the system is on an earlier version than the app, that is almost certainly the case. 

@rsierra54 - are you really being asked to upgrade the app, or is it saying that a system update is required?  Those are two different things.

Actually, the latest app and system version for S1 is 11.2.3, so I expect both your app and your system need updating, within S1.

Actually it looks like both according to the screen shot. 

I have to say you all are super helpful! Thank you!