Question

Do I have to upgrade my bridge to boost?

• 28 September 2019
  • 5 replies

I have 4 Play 1’s and a sound bar all working off my Bridge (which is hardwired to modem). System works fine, no drop outs etc. Do I have to upgrade to Boost?

And you people all seem very smart & technical LOL. so I would appreciate answers in terms I can understand.

I use the app on my iphone, iPad, or MacBook Air to run system. Thank you!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

You don’t have to, but I suspect one of these days there will be an update that “breaks” the BRIDGE, and they’re also known to have power supplies that can go bad, although easily replaced.

You have three choices.

First, keep using it the way you are. As long as it still works, why mess with it.

Second, take the Ethernet cable from the BRIDGE and instead, connect it to one of your speakers. That speaker will continue to work, and also act as the BRIDGE.

Third, replace the BRIDGE with a BOOST. It’s a newer design with newer tech, a bit better in lots of areas, and not very expensive.
Oops. There is a fourth option.

Enter in your WiFi SSID and password into the Sonos controller, and then disconnect the BOOST, and let your speakers connect to your WiFi.
Thank you. I ordered the Boost. With the 1 time discount code it’s only $70 so why not have my system working at a high level. I love my Sonos! I’ll recycle the bridge once I switch it out.
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
Got the offer for the 1time discount for the boost.

Today I have many units in my house, which is a rectangular 100ftx25ft . I have one bridge wired in the middle, one playbar wired at one side and a sonos connect on the opposit side .

Than I have 1 PLAY 5 (1ST GEN) , 4 play 1 , 2 play 3, one play One, unwired.

Do I need to repalce the bridge , or with 3 wired units the sonosnet is well balanced ?

thanks !!
giovanni
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
@Gbfabiani, you may be fine with the current wired setup. As a thought, consider unplugging the Bridge for a bit and see how the system performs. As the email said, the Bridge is getting pretty old and some of them are struggling to keep going. Your system may be better off without it.