Answered

Play:1 discontinued, can I group with a Sonos One or SL?

I understand Sonos is discontinuing the Play 1 model which is a real shame as it is a great little speaker and I never felt the need for the voice activated controls of the Sonos 1. I purchased a couple of Play 1s a couple of years ago with the intention of adding more as and when I could afford. Now I find it they are being discontinued and that even if I buy the Sonos 1, it won’t pair with the Play 1. Is this right and if so, what solution as I want multi room speaker play without having to start again from scratch?

icon

Best answer by jgatie 29 June 2020, 20:07

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You are not mistaken. Play 1's do S2.

I have play 1 units from 2014, but because I have Connect Amp/Connect units in use, and I am not interested in upgrades, I am staying on S1. But if I am not mistaken, the play 1 themselves can be moved to the new S2 controller/environment - evidence of on going support there?

Sonos has guaranteed full support for all products for AT LEAST  five years after the product is discontinued. It will probably be longer. Stop worrying. 

(In the S1 system they are still maintaining the usability of devices launched 15 years ago and discontinued more than 10 years ago.)

I understand that play1 has been discontinued 😦

But what about supporting it, I have a couple of these speakers.  Will be a real shame if they stop supporting them with the Android or apple apps.

Has there been any announcements regarding this? 

Thanks John, that’s useful, sorry to show my ignorance but what does ‘grouped within a Sonos system’ mean? Can I play them together?

Grouping - Temporary linking of 2 or more rooms to play in sync.

Pairing - Semi-permanent linking of 2 like models to play as a single room in stereo. 

Bonding - Semi-permanent linking of a Sub to a stereo pair, or a Sub/surrounds to a soundbar/Amp to play as a single room.

Many thanks, good to know! Yes, was wrongly using ‘Pairing’ but meaning ‘Grouping’.

I understand Sonos is discontinuing the Play 1 model which is a real shame as it is a great little speaker and I never felt the need for the voice activated controls of the Sonos 1. I purchased a couple of Play 1s a couple of years ago with the intention of adding more as and when I could afford. Now I find it they are being discontinued and that even if I buy the Sonos 1, it won’t pair with the Play 1. Is this right and if so, what solution as I want multi room speaker play without having to start again from scratch?

Actually, the Play:1 was discontinued over 9 months ago.  And ‘pairing’ means a semi-permanent bond to make a stereo pair where each one plays a separate left/right channel.  It has never been possible to pair unlike models.  That is different from grouping, which is a temporary linking of 2 or more rooms to play in sync, and any Sonos can be grouped with any other.  

Thanks for the clarification, looks like I’ve been worrying for nothing!

Although they won’t pair with Play:1s, the One SL is effectively their replacement - similar size and form factor, no voice services, and Airplay compatible.  Only major thing they’re missing is threaded jack for wall mounting, which some would want and some couldn’t care less about.

Great, many thanks - no not planning on wall mounting!

Thanks John, that’s useful, sorry to show my ignorance but what does ‘grouped within a Sonos system’ mean? Can I play them together?

Grouping - Temporary linking of 2 or more rooms to play in sync.

Pairing - Semi-permanent linking of 2 like models to play as a single room in stereo. 

Bonding - Semi-permanent linking of a Sub to a stereo pair, or a Sub/surrounds to a soundbar/Amp to play as a single room.

The Play:1 cannot be stereo paired with a One, but can be grouped within a Sonos system. If you don't want voice control then the One SL  is a direct successor to the Play:1. 

I'm not really sure what you are worried about. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Although they won’t pair with Play:1s, the One SL is effectively their replacement - similar size and form factor, no voice services, and Airplay compatible.  Only major thing they’re missing is threaded jack for wall mounting, which some would want and some couldn’t care less about.

The Play:1 cannot be stereo paired with a One, but can be grouped within a Sonos system. If you don't want voice control then the One SL  is a direct successor to the Play:1. 

I'm not really sure what you are worried about. 

Actually, the Play:1 was discontinued over 9 months ago.  And ‘pairing’ means a semi-permanent bond to make a stereo pair where each one plays a separate left/right channel.  It has never been possible to pair unlike models.  That is different from grouping, which is a temporary linking of 2 or more rooms to play in sync, and any Sonos can be grouped with any other.