Question

Directv connecting to Sonos Amp, to play TV sound through speakers. ???

• 4 December 2019
  • 4 replies

HELP

I feel like Ron Burgandy, in a glass cage of emotion as I type this.  I have 2 Sonos amps that are currently hooked up to two pair of Sonos ceiling speakers.  I wanted to play each TV’s through my speakers but can’t find a way to hook up my Directv 4K Genie to the Sonos AMP?

I just laid out a large amount of money on the Sonos product and this is pretty frustrating.  I’m hoping someone has a fix.   Thank you and Happy Holidays.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

DirectTV box to TV, TV to Amp via HDMI-ARC.  If your TV has no HDMI-ARC capability, you can purchase this optical to HDMI adapter:

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/optical-audio-adapter.html

And here is where I could be screwed.  My guy only ran one HDMI to the TV which does have an ARC.  And everything is buttoned up with sheet rock already.  Would an HDMI splitter work at the TV?  Thanks for the quick reply.

And here is where I could be screwed.  My guy only ran one HDMI to the TV which does have an ARC.  And everything is buttoned up with sheet rock already.  Would an HDMI splitter work at the TV?  Thanks for the quick reply.

How many TV’s are we talking about?  What configuration are you trying to achieve? If you want surround sound from a single TV to the 4 speakers, that requires only a single HDMI-ARC cable from the TV to the front speakers Amp. The rear surround Amp does not need HDMI, it gets the surround signal from the other Amp. 

Alternately, you could pull the audio out before it reaches the TV, by using an HDMI switch box with an optical output. That way the video could be carried to the TV via the single HDMI cable your installer put in the wall, and the audio could be split off before it hits the TV.