Answered

Sonos Arc - Dialogue is disappointing

• 15 January 2021
  • 6 replies

• Contributor I
  • 3 replies

Hi 

I just bought the Sonos ARC and Sub Gen 3 and went through the set up process and tuning with my iPhone.  The bass sounds great but the dialogue is very weak.   Will be there an upcoming software fix for this?  I’m debating whether to return before the 15 days…  your guidance will help with my decision 

icon

Best answer by Mark P 15 January 2021, 23:02

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @SKV.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community, We appreciate your time and effort in posting your concern here in our community.

This link might help you to make some improvements with your Sonos speakers.

Adjust the bass, treble, balance, and loudness

Tune your Sonos speakers with Trueplay

Let us know if it works. If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

I’ve tried both… bass is over powering and when you lower you get a hallow sound.    Need your input if this is going to resolved or something at least is being investigated>

Shiv

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @SKV.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community, We appreciate your time and effort in posting your concern here in our community.

Since you already tried both options, I would like to recommend calling our customer phone support on this so you can be assisted with more thorough and in-depth troubleshooting steps as well as remote diagnostics that can be remotely gathered from your Sonos devices with your permission. 

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I’ve tried both… bass is over powering and when you lower you get a hallow sound.    Need your input if this is going to resolved or something at least is being investigated>

Shiv

The default setting after adding an Arc is for Loudness to be On.  Can you check if this is still the case?  My TV audio was improved by turning it off.

Hi

I ended up returning my purchase of the Sub and ARC….dialogue I got adjusted too but the issue was the 1 port.  When my TV sent stereo audio to the ARC there was no voice delay when the source was my XBOX of PS but when I changed the default to digital I started seeing a 1 sec delay between the audio and picture.  Dont know if it was the TV or ARC.    Based upon my searching only resolution was either direct connection which the ARC does not support or buy a new TV or replace the ARC.   All are very expensive fixes… I wish the ARC was able to support more uses cases as it left me disappointed 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @SKV 

The Arc (or any other soundbar, Sonos or not) will play audio from HDMI-ARC as soon as it can. If a TV needs to convert an audio stream prior to sending that audio through ARC for compatibility, it should also delay the video stream by how long that process takes. In this situation (the video is not also delayed), you likely either need a TV firmware update (if the TV is not too old), an new TV, or, as you have done, opt for a soundbar that handles HDMI video passthrough.

Changing your source device’s audio output format to one supported by the soundbar can also help with this, if it’s an option, as it prevents the TV from having to do a conversion.

Additionally, some TVs restrict the audio format options available to HDMI-ARC soundbar devices from external sources, as opposed to those coming from internal TV apps/broadcast reception.