Delay in One SL surrounds

• 5 December 2021
  • 9 replies

Hi,

First post on here so hope this is correct way to do it. I have searched and similar posts hadn't been updated for 1 or 2 years.

Last week I bought 2 x play one sl to use as surround speakers for a playbar I have happily used for a few years connected to our tv. First impressions were great, really added to the experience but didn't take long before issues started.

When audio plays, regardless of 5.1 tv input, 2.0 TV input or music streaming, a delay develops on the surrounds, like an echo of the playbar, after an indeterminate period of time. Also, the sound will occasionally cut out on the surronds for a split second, but this issue is less rare.

I am not grouping with any other sonos in the house when this happens (1 play 1 in kitchen and 1 play1 in dining room) just using my "lounge" playbar and 2x play one sl group which sonos applied as part of initial setup.

Turning the surrounds off then back on with the app temporarily fixes echo and brings audio back in sync, but not for long.

Would appreciate help with this please as driving us bonkers.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7

Try removing/unbonding the One SLs as surrounds from the Playbar and unplugging all three speakers from power for a couple of minutes. Reboot your router. Then plug the speakers back in and add the One SLs as surrounds again.

You could also be experiencing wireless interference. Read more here:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3286?language=en_US

Hopefully the surrounds are truly bonded with the Playbar, and not set up as a pair as a separate ‘room’ grouped with the Playbar.

How do all the Sonos units connect to the network? Has the ‘WiFi’ been disabled on any of them?

Hi both,

Thank you for the replies.

@GuitarSuperstar I followed your steps and still have issues. There isn't much around them that I could imagine would be causing interference unless the stand would be an issue? If that is the case, I would be annoyed as it is meant for it. Link below.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sanus-Height-Adjustable-Wireless-Speaker/dp/B079RM34R7/ref=mp_s_a_1_8?crid=1O5S9LB4KPC0F&keywords=sanus+sonos+one+stand&qid=1638735861&sprefix=sanus%2Caps%2C83&sr=8-8

@ratty I added them through the add surrounds function in the app. They were automatically set as lounge 2 and lounge 3 when sonos detected them, but now come under lounge once they were added as surrounds. This is how it displays.

An ethernet cable goes into my playbar. That is the only sonos device directly connected to ethernet. Everything else is wireless, but I believe they are connected via sonosnet as all their details are WM: 0 in the system info. Enable wi fi is ticked for all devices which include my playbar, 2 x one SL as surrounds, 1x play 1 in kitchen and 1 x play 1 in dining room. All firmware up to date and using Sonos S2 app also up to date.

Edit.. also tried using different sonos channels with no joy. Default was 6 I believe but 1 and 11 didn't improve things.

Thanks.

Hi @RTFunk 
Your issue sounds exactly as mine:

I have a Beam connected to a Sub and two One SL as surround speakers (Beam connected to Ethernet, all other components are on Wifi). The system was working great for about 2 years without any trouble. Beginning around December, I noticed a increasing delay between the Beam and the Ones. Sometimes this happens a few minutens after starting the music/TV, sometimes it does not occur at all. The source of the sound does not matter, Spotify, Radio and TV make all the same problems. Switchting True Play off also doesn’t fix the issue.

Like you, when I switch off the surrounds and on again, the issue is gone for some time.

Did you find out something about it? Is the problem still there?

Hi @RTFunk 
Your issue sounds exactly as mine:

I have a Beam connected to a Sub and two One SL as surround speakers (Beam connected to Ethernet, all other components are on Wifi). 

Do you really mean that? The other components are showing WM:1 in Settings/System/About?

In that case you must have disabled “WiFi” in the Beam. Turn it back on. Disabling all the Beam’s radios removes the direct 5GHz wireless connections to the surrounds/Sub. This could result in them occasionally dropping out or losing sync.

Yeah, you are right: I didn‘t explain it correctly, all components are shown as WM: 0 in the settings. Wifi is also switched on on the Beam. With Wifi I meant SonosNet.

I‘ll try to switch the SonosNet channel, maybe this changes something.

I‘ll try to switch the SonosNet channel, maybe this changes something.

The SonosNet 2.4GHz channel doesn’t affect the 5GHz channel used by the Beam to talk to its satellites. The latter is auto-selected. 

If you’re seeing disruption to the satellites audio there could be 5GHz interference from somewhere. Is there another 5GHz device close by, such as a router or WiFi access point?

Your best bet is likely to be to submit a system diagnostic when you experience a problem. Note the confirmation number and contact Sonos Support.

Hello, I’m having the same exact issue and this started in mid December. Doesn’t matter if it’s a movie, tv show or Spotify. I have retuned etc to no avail…. Could this be software related? Have an Arc two rear Ones and a sub where this issue has been occurring. 

@BScarbro I also believe this is more likely a bug. My system worked with the exact same setup for over one year. I did now manually switch the SonosNet Channel. After that I had the error only once. So maybe give it a try