DAC with optical in and XLR outs

• 18 May 2018
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12
I’d like to connect a pair of Genelec 8040s to a Sonos Connect, but don’t want a jungle of adaper cables so would like to be able to feed a DAC from a Connect and go straight to XLR out rather than connect via a converted cable direct to the Connect.

Any ideas of some options for this?

Thanks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
The Connect has two different digital outputs - optical and coaxial - so you could send one of those to your DAC. Then you can take your DAC output and do whatever it is you want with it.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Hi MikeV - thanks. It was a recommendation on a DAC that has XLR that was after. e.g. this model by this manufacturer is good, that I was after. I guessed that the optical out of the Connect would hook up to the optical in of the DAC in question lol

PS: I should add - a DAC that is suitable for home audio, rather than studio purposes (I actually have two of those, but they tend to need a host to drive and are controlled via Thunderbolt), so I'm after a "dumb" DAC that just acts like a a hit of hifi kit. Cheers.
Isn't it simpler to just do this, cut/pasted from the manual:
"unbalanced leads may be used as long as pin 3 is grounded to pin 1 of the XLR (see figure 3)." No need for any jungle either.
The figure in the manual clearly shows how the internals of the wire should be connected to ensure correct connections.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Kumar, thanks. yes it might be in certain configurations. But not in my use case. I have dozens of other cabling requirements in that "jungle" not just the interconnects between the Connect (who which I don't yet have the manual as I''ve not purchased it. I'm simply after any recommendations of a device which will perform the last yard connection between the Genelec balanced Female XLRs that will go into the back of the active speakers. How I get from Sonos to Connect to the DAC is taken care of. I was simply after a recommendation. I guess the use case is quite niche. I'll try asking on the Genelec forum.

At this point starting to think it might be cheaper and simpler to just get another pair of 5s for the same room and cut out the end for a Connect and DAC.