Answered

CR200: (Question) Known working software releases

Hiya all,

I have a CR200 that I have not used in ages but with the coming May2020 S1/S2 split date, I am keen to get my CR200 reconnected to my system so I have this legacy gem in a working state before it’s too late.

My system software version is v11 and the controller will not connect. I have seen all of old history on here where downgrades are required etc before upgrading with the CR200 connected. My questions to the community are as follows;

1. I would like to know the latest sonos software version known to work with the CR200. (assuming the CR200 was connected long ago).

So please fellow Sonos users, if you could reply with a simple “mine is running today on system software xxx” it would be greatly appreciated so I can work out what version I will cap out at when I get my beloved controller connected.

Cheers for your contribution and please stay sae in the COVID era.

Dean

icon

Best answer by John B 17 April 2020, 19:56

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Hi. Your question is irrelevant. The CR200 will connect to the current software but you will need intervention from Sonos Support. Your system will need to be running in SonosNet mode, I.e. at least one wired Sonos device. Give Support a call.

Hi John - Unfortunately, I have been on with Sonos Support today (for a continuous 2 hours) and after a lot of dialog and hold time, they point blank tell me it is not possible to get my controller onto my v11 system. I am currently awaiting an escalation call.

In the meantime, I am asking the community the question of known live versions upon which the CR200 is still working to understand if the V11 part is my problem (and I need to get my controller onto an older system first) or whether it is a change in policy blocking the resolution of my problem.

I.e, the question; can anyone out there confirm for me that they have a system running v11 with a CR200? If not, what is the latest reported version.

Cheers

Dean

How do you propose to get your system onto an earlier software version? If you succeed, do you expect to be able to add the CR200 without intervention from Support?

I doubt that the CR200 is incompatible with v11. Perhaps your request will clarify that one way or the other, which would be useful.

John - If somebody out here can confirm that they personally have CR200 running on v11 then I know that I can somehow get there. 

For example I would then go hunt for an old ZP80/90 on ebay etc which is running older software, buy it, connect the CR200 and then upgrade back towards v11 before integrating both devices to my current system.

If the highest version people can report is say v9, then I have a decision to take. Do I want to do this and live with a V9 orphaned system.

At the end of the day, I do not know where I will land on this but without any confirmations from CR200 users, I will be totally blind and hence cannot move forward.

My objective is to get this legacy controller of mine back into life before we pass the Gen 1 cut off because it is a iconic controller that I want to keep as a collector item into the distant future. (I kept it in a draw for so many years because I wanted to preserve its life due to the dead screen problems that they are known to have suffered)

If nothing else, at least with replies of confirmed use, this thread will serve useful for others in future (I hope).

Cheers

Dean

To add the ZP80 to an existing system you will have to factory reset it. It will then insist on being updated to current software, I.e. v11. I don't think that discovering which is the latest compatible version is going to help you to actually implement that.

Hopefully you will find someone running the CR200 on v11.

Happy to be proved wrong.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

My CR200 runs with a system on ver 11.    YMMV …. I take no responsibility for what happens to yours!

My CR200 runs with a system on ver 11.    YMMV …. I take no responsibility for what happens to yours!

Thanks for confirming. It really has to be so. There have been relatively recent posts concerning adding CR200s. And if v11 had taken out the CR200 there would have plenty of complaints,  but I have not seen any.

Dean. Your Support escalation is now your best bet. Your only bet in fact.

You  were never going to have the option to go back to an earlier version of the software in order to be able to add the CR200.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Thanks for confirming. It really has to be so. There have been relatively recent posts concerning adding CR200s. And if v11 had taken out the CR200 there would have plenty of complaints,  but I have not seen any.

The CR200 lists as version 7.4 build 36443070  hardware version 1.6.0.1-1  - other sonos units are version 11.0

The CR200 controller has long been on a different version from the system itself, and of course has limited functionality.

I have 2 CR200’s running on version 11.0.  I recently upgraded my players from 10 ZP100’s to 10 Amps.  The CR200’s are not shown on the ‘About My Sonos System’ on the Sonos PC app.  On the controllers themselves they are shown with version 7.4 (build 36443070).  

The CR200’s are not shown on the ‘About My Sonos System’ on the Sonos PC app. 

About My System never shows anything related to any other controllers on the system.