Answered

Controlling Arc volume while streaming music

• 9 October 2021
  • 3 replies

Badge

I have a Sonos Arc hooked up to a Sony A80J via eARC. Volume control using the TV remote works fine while watching TV. However, it doesn’t work while streaming music on the Arc; I have to open the app to manage volume. I tried the Remote Control setup in the app but it doesn’t detect the TV remote. Any suggestions on what I need to do to fix this?

icon

Best answer by venksv 10 October 2021, 06:31

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Badge

So did a bit more digging - turns out the Sony A80J remote is hooked up via Bluetooth and no IR signal is sent in that case. That’s why Sonos couldn’t detect the remote. I switched off Bluetooth on the TV and it paired with Sonos instantly. So TV off, streaming music on Arc, volume control thru TV remote - works perfectly!

@GuitarSuperstar - thanks for the iOS tip L - have enabled that as well. 🙏

I have no experience with an A80J. Many TV’s allow their remote to be setup to control an A/V receiver via IR. If this is the case with your TV, set the remote to control an arbitrary A/V receiver, then train ARC to respond to those commands.

Userlevel 7

There is nothing to fix. The TV remote cannot control the Arc volume while streaming music from the Sonos app. It can only control the TV audio.

You could get a Harmony remote/hub and program it to control the Arc volume while streaming music.

If you use an iOS device, you can enable Lock Screen control for Sonos and control the Arc volume using the volume buttons on the side of your iPhone.

Read this to enable Lock Screen control:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3381?language=en_US