Question

Connectivity Issues

• 5 January 2019
  • 5 replies

I’ve got about 7 Sonos components. After adding a new WiFi mesh system, they’re all gone. I can only add back those I physically connect to the router. This is a nightmare - please tell me what I can do to get my huge Sonos investment working again (and, for extra credit, tell me how this can happen).

Confirmation: 1155197389

5 replies

Many WiFi mesh systems include their own router, in the primary unit. This would break the network into two IP subnets. Sonos devices and controllers must be on the same subnet. If a wired Sonos component was connected to the main router, controllers on the WiFi mesh would not be able to find it.

The solution is usually to put the WiFi mesh into 'bridge mode', disabling its inbuilt router function, though some makes don't allow this.

Alternatively, the wired Sonos component could be plugged into one of the mesh units. In that case the main router's WiFi should be disabled or ignored.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Please share what network hardware you are using. As ratty says, this is most likely caused by multiple subnets.
I am having the same issue. I have 9 components and recently added the net gear Orbi which is a mesh system. Spent 4 hours yesterday trying to get things up and running again to no avail. Very frustrating.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Rather than fight the WiFi mess switch your Sonos to Boost mode and be done with it.
https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3209?language=en_US
I have same issues. And the fastest way to waking Sonos up instead of taking forever to wait for them to reappear in the app is to use the Alexa built in function to command a random song you want to play. Once the speaker respond, all group will reappear in the app.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings