Connecting Sony Ultra short throw projector to Sonos

• 8 March 2019
  • 2 replies

Trying to connect my Sony LSPX-P1to my Sonos. I've got 5:1 in the lounge which is where I'd MUCH rather have the projector outputting audio - currently it comes out through a pokey little built in speaker on the projector. Has anyone managed to get this wrking? Would Sonos Connect work? Or maybe trying out a splitter? The projector has an HDMI out port but I reckon that's all I've got to work with here. Cheers

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Doubt that the HDMi out would work directly with Sonos. Since the projector does not seem to have any other audio out, I think your only option is to use a solution that many projector owners use with Sonos: an HDMI switch with audio output or an HDMI audio extractor.
You put this between your HDMI sources and the projector and have it feed the audio to Sonos over optical. This is one of several topics where myself and others have discussed this with a projector user.
@Sjoop1985 is 100% correct on this as usual. I do think though that that particular projector is somewhat unusual with it's HDMI out pass through and can apparently receive content wirelessly. Given that, I would try using the HDMI switch taking input from the projector out to whatever Sonos playbar/playbase/beam/amp you have.

Of course, if you have multiple HDMI sources you want to use with the projector, and you don't care about the wireless content, than a switch between sources and projector makes more sense.