Question

Connecting Klipsch Sub To Amp

• 3 June 2019
  • 3 replies

So new user to Sonos but have some history in previous home audio setups. My current setup is a PlayBar hooked up to the TV to play audio which I will call "zone 1". I have purchased the new Amp product with the intention of using it to power 2 Klipsch outdoor speakers which I will call "zone 2". Seems pretty straight forward on the setup. My question is around attaching an existing Klipsch sub that I have to save the big $$ on purchasing a Sonos sub. Can I attach my 3rd party sub to the Amp AND then have that sub part of the interior "zone 1". (i.e. I want the sub to be played inside as part of the TV setup in zone 1 and not come on when zone 2 outside is played). Thanks in advance for the help.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

kch071482,

No, I’m afraid what your asking for is not possible. A klipsch powered sub will just remain part of your zone 2 alongside the Amp... there is no way to link it independently (standalone) to zone 1.

You could perhaps “Group” the PlayBar with the Amp Room (incl. speakers and sub) for music audio and that will be okay, but such grouping for TV audio would cause a delay/echo of approx ~70ms and such a delay, with the sub in the same room with the TV/PlayBar, would likely be noticeable.

There are lip-sync slider controls in the Playbar “Room Settings” to help the user to try to alleviate the delay/echo, but it’s not really an ideal situation.

In my own experience, with lip sync adjustment, it might just about work for PCM audio output from the TV, for which the sub is not going to be doing very much, but you will likely find it too difficult to get a Dolby Digital 5.1 audio signal from the TV to sync.

Hope that helps.
No. A Sub connected to the Sonos Amp would be part of the "zone" (in Sonos parlance, they're called "rooms") that the Amp is part of.

What you could potentially do is group the PLAYBAR room with the Amp room, and then have the Sub working.

Note that the moment you change the Amp over to work as "surround speakers", the sub port gets turned off, as the data for the sub is no longer carried to it, in lieu of the surround information. It doesn't seem like that's your intention, but I figured it would be better to call that out now.
Thanks for the prompt replies and great info. Appreciate the help. Looks like I will be making a purchase of a new sub!