Question

Connecting Denon To Sonos

• 12 October 2019
  • 8 replies

I have an old Denon F88 system, connected to Mission speakers. I'd like to be able to play it throughout my house on my existing Sonos kit. I have a Connect (and a Boost if it makes a difference). Any suggestions on how to do that please?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Thanks Ken
Tbates,

Assuming I have found the correct image online here for your Denon device (see attached), you would just simply Connect the RCA line-out to the Analog Line In on the Sonos Connect. Select the Sonos Speakers/Rooms you wish to play to ..and then select the Connect 'Line In' source from the 'Browse Tab' in the Sonos App to play the Denon Audio to the chosen Sonos Room(s).
With the Sonos Connect, you can also use the Analog line-out on the Connect linked to one of the six Analog Inputs (Auxiliary/CD/Phono etc.), to play any of the Sonos App audio sources, eg. TuneIn, Spotify, Deezer, Amazon Music etc. to your Denon Receiver/Speakers.
Tbates,

Assuming I have found the correct image online here for your Denon device (see attached), you would just simply Connect the RCA line-out to the Analog Line In on the Sonos Connect. Select the Sonos Speakers/Rooms you wish to play to ..and then select the Connect 'Line In' source from the 'Browse Tab' in the Sonos App to play the Denon Audio to the chosen Sonos Room(s).
Ken, thank you. The image is of the tuner part of the system. I want an output out of the amplifier, which is UPA-F88. The only output i can see is the speaker connections.
Tbates,

Whilst the Connect has three different Outputs, 1 Analog and 2 digital, it only has the 1 RCA Analog Line In. So whatever you link, it’s going to need a Line-Out.

It sounds like you are 'possibly' limited at the moment to just outputting the Tuner audio therefore with your Denon device. I say 'possibly' because there are “Speaker to RCA line out” converters on the market, but I’ve never used them, personally speaking and therefore can’t comment as to their suitability. There maybe others here in the community who maybe able to provide more information about those devices.
I tried one of those converters. If it makes a difference i got it from Halfords. It has a positive and negative for each of the speakers outputs. Confusingly it has an additional cable, but no instruction as to what to do with it - it might make sense if it's being used in a car.
In any event it works, but is (a) very quiet and (b) suffers with interference. Any clues as to the extra cable and how to stop the interference gratefully received...
Probably for grounding, so attach it to an earth if one is available.

In the connect “room settings” In the Sonos App, there is a “source level” option, set it to 10 to see if that improves the volume level for you.