Answered

Connecting a Sonos Beam to a 3rd party Subwoofer

• 28 August 2020
  • 2 replies

I saw this questions asked a few times so here’s an updated one as the tech / adapters get better. I’ll keep y’all informed if there’s any updated news or workarounds that work for me. In the meantime, if y’all have any suggestions, please help :)

Original thread and replies along w/ pictures: https://www.reddit.com/r/sonos/comments/iie1d8/tech_request_sonos_beam_w_3rd_party_subwoofer/

----

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some tech help on how to connect a [[[Sonos Beam x 3rd party subwoofer]]].

I've tried with two brands so far: 1. Velodyne Microvee 2. Sunfire HRS8using this adapter SOUTHSKY 5.1CH DAC Converter Audio Decoder Digital Optical Coaxial Toslink to RCA 3.5mm Jack Support Dolby AC-3 DTS 5.1 2.0CH for Xbox PS2,PS3,PS4,TV (SPDIF/Coaxial to 6RCA+3.5mm).

I can't seem to get it to work but I'm also aware I'm a total novice at this. I've attached some photos. I would greatly appreciate the help.

Hardware & set up:

TCL TV.a) optical out ---> subwoofer

b) ARC / HDMI ---> Sonos Beam

pics of my set up. ---> https://imgur.com/gallery/M4mzpYl <--- pics of my set up.

Playing movies / TV through Roku & sounds works fine through the Sonos Beam. Nothing through the Subwoofers. I've tried putting the subwoofer cable in every hole that fits.

THANK YOU FOR READING THIS FAR. I NEED HELP :)

icon

Best answer by 106rallye 28 August 2020, 23:23

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Just my two cents. A sub is not just a speaker. It needs a sub signal (just the bass) not a complete signal you seem to give it from the optical connection.

Most TV’s will also shut down the optical connection when something is connected to the HDMI-ARC.

I can’t see this working. You need a Sonos Sub. Curious what others will say though.

Badge

Hmmm, not sure about linking 3rd party splitters to 3rd party subwoofer.

It’s not a cheap option, but connecting the 3rd party subwoofer to a Sonos Connect (approx $200 pre-owned) is probably the most straightforward route if you wanted to utilize a sub you already have. Even if you could get the 3rd party sub working through the TV optical out, you wouldn’t be able to utilize the sub for music unless it was playing from the TV.

Not sure of any other way to get audio out of the Sonos system to 3rd party devices without going through a Connect, Port, or Amp.